What certifications does an oil boiler fitter require?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The house I am purchasing was fitted with a new oil fired central heating boiler earlier this year. My solicitor has asked the seller to provide written evidence that the installer was registered with OFTEC but this has not been forth coming. Looking at the installers website and invoice it makes no mention of OFTEC and the OFTEC website does not list the installers company name when I search by name or postcode.

My questions is, who is the installer legally required to be registered with to install an oil fired boiler?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I 'think' you have to be OFTEC registered to install an oil boiler and tank, but not if you are just servicing or repairing.

The installer could of installed it and got it signed off by another OFTEC registered company.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if there may be more than one governing body that oversees oil systems as I have only ever had gas central heating in the past.

I now know there must be a piece of paper somewhere that states the installation was either done by an OFTEC registered installer or checked and signed off by one. If there isn't then the seller of the property will have to get it checked over by one.

I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Installation of an oil fired boiler must either be installed by a member of a Competent Person Scheme or the installation must be certified by the Local council's Building Control dept.

OFTEC is a Competent Person scheme for oil boilers but there are others.

Yes, this is correct, so if the seller can't find the building regs compliance document for the recent install, you can be confident it wasn't registered and didn't go through the right channels.

If the installer isn't a member of a competent person scheme (and if you were serious about installing oil fired equipment, OFTEC would be the first choice) then you can bet it is a properly moody installation.

Ideally you should get a CD10 from the Installer that fitted the boiler and a CD11 from the person who Commissioned it. Sadly I come across boilers that have no paperwork and are unregistered with OFTEC quite frequently.
Often 'The Builder Did It' sends alarm bells ringing.

The fitter works for what looks to be a reputable Gas Safe registered company so it's not clear why they are not OFTEC registered. Anyway, the seller is happy to have it checked over by an OFTEC registered installer so that he can declare it is safe.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Steve

If the vendor can't produce a building regs notice, then the conveyencing solicitor working on your behalf is meant to make sure they obtain one for your document pack.

This will involve them getting it registered by someone who has got a ticket (Gas Safe counts for zippo) or paying the local Building Control office to get it inspected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back