what circuit do outside lights go on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I want to add a motion detector and light to the rear exterior of my house are there any special requirements for the way it is wired to the mains.

Can I simply nip into the loft and find a light power cable and 'T' from it? (not sure where the switch would go)

Just want some clarification.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Spur from the ring main.

Unless you're in Scotland this work is notifiable to your local building control. And you cant fit anything over 300w.

Spur from the ringmain would be how i would do it, can then use the fcu as a switch aswell. Coming off the lightning circuit runs the risk of overloading it if your fitting a few floodlights.

steve wrote

And you cant fit anything over 300w

? :confused:

new rules, nothing over 300W in domestic.. something about light polution into neighbours gardens and windows etc..

Sponsored Links
Thanks Coljack

When did that come in and by whom?

Must pay more attention to the domestic scene :oops:

Must say i cant see it making a difference, whilst they still sell them they'l get put up!

Oh, and by the way, didnt manage to get any photo's of the chopped cables over the steel beam-forgot my camera on the saturday and they wouldnt leave the chipboards up till monday so i could get one! :cry:

sorry to disapoint, i know how the forum loves pictures!

Yes I'd be keen to know where this rule is written?

A rule is of no use whatsoever if the people it applies to do not know it exists. ;)

the approved document of Part L (L1B) of the building regulations actually say that it sould be limited to 150W and be controlled so it's not on all the time.. so PIR and / or dusk till dawn sensors..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back