What conduit to protect last metre of cable to garden spike lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden lighting is going to have about 8 230v spike lights like this. The cable around the edge of the garden is going to be armoured SWA looping in and out of junction boxes. The flex that's attached to the spike lights are then going to be wired to the junction boxes.

What conduit can I use to protect that metre or so of flex between the fitting and the junction box? I'm in an area with foxes and given that it's an urban area there are probably all manner of rodents. They seemto love messing up anything of mine that's new.

Would plastic flexible conduit like this be sufficient? Armoured stuff like kopex seems really expensive.

Sponsored Links
I doubt you can successfully cover every inch of the flex, if this is the case, why bother?

The lights aren't designed to have conduit over the flex, it's supposed to be exposed.

You can slide some conduit over the majority of the flex if it makes you happy, but it won't be watertight, so don't bother trying to connect the conduit to the waterproof junction boxes.

It can help a little bit, but generally nothing but armour plate will stop the squirrels.
Keep the run from the junction as short as possible and clip to a fence, if you can. They seem to nibble more at loose cable.
You can get a smaller diameter copex, which looks a bit neater.
Might be worth considering 12v spikes, but that comes with added installation issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back