What could this capped pipe be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im ripping out my kitchen and have found these two capped pipes sticking out the wall about an inch.

Both are about 10" from the floor. There is nothing on the other side of each wall that service them (outside wall and living room)

House built in the 1950's

Sponsored Links
As above, most probably plugged galvanised gas pipes but whether they are abandoned or active is the question?

Both pipes appear to drop and run to the right - maybe there is a gas meter in that direction?

Do you intend to hack off the plaster to that wall? If you do, then you could have the pipes traced and removed when they are exposed - a very simple job.

After removal the gas person would do a safety pressure test to the whole installation. Again, a simple matter.

For backgound info, it's normal to have gas pipes plugged when they are abandoned. Both live and dead. If they're not in the way I'd leave them alone.

Sponsored Links
I assume that there is Gas in the property?

these pipes do appear to be old gas piping.

As previous posts if not in the way, leave alone, but have a qualified Gas Safe Engineer have a look, it is possible that the pipework leading to the capped off pipes.

To be clear are there two separate capped off pipes? if so there is a possibility that at one time there was a Gas hob and a separate Oven, depends on Regs. at the time of installation, or it is possible that over time one of the outlets was abandoned and a new outlet fitted, possibly because the first was in some way leaking.

Either way to be absolutely safe get them both checked out by a Gas Safe Engineer, there are no second chances with gas.

Thanks for all the replies.

To clarify the pipes are on opposite walls in a pretty square(ish) kitchen.

The bottom two pics are on the same wall as the gas meter (in a different room) and located in a corner leading out the property.

The top two pics show the pipe about in the middle of the wall - opposite

There is no gas appliances in the kitchen (gas in house = yes but not kitchen).

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a gas man come out & have a loo at this sort of stuff.

Thanks

I'm not being funny but call a local gas safe and ask.

Thing is, you still dont know if they are gas or water. Does any galvanised pipework show at the meter or just after?

First thing I'd do is go to the gas meter and trace the pipework from there. If you just have a gas boiler you should just see one pipe going in that direction. If you have a fire you might see a tee where one pipe also goes in that direction.

I'm not being funny but call a local gas safe and ask.

Thing is, you still dont know if they are gas or water. Does any galvanised pipework show at the meter or just after?
It`s gas ;) it won`t be galv. pipe ,not used for gas- only water .

I dont understand the above comment?

Galvanised is used for gas, typically, in commercial kitchens and high rise etc. - i've cut, threaded and run galvanised gas pipe.
I suspect that it was sometimes used inbetween the periods of lead pipe and copper pipe for domestic installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back