What dictates how much I can store in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm curious about this as I've been boarding my loft in stages:

The survey initially suggested that the loft had been used excessively for storage and this had caused the ceiling to sag, meaning the doors didn't fit properly in the frames. They (surveyor) said they thought once the items were removed it would return to normal. After moving in, I'm very dubious, yes the previous residents had only put a few boards up so essentially the weight of the items in the loft had been very concentrated. However I'm fairly certain that the doors didn't shut as they were badly hung and we have had this sorted now.

The surveyor told me to be careful how much stuff I put up in the loft but I'm not sure why, obviously I'm not going to go nuts and put a library/hot tub up there, but the joists up there look the same as the ones on the first floor (have had floorboards off recently) so what dictates whether a loft can be used for storage or not?

Sponsored Links
Tends to depend on the house age, I had loads of junk in my 1930's house but in a 1980's build I had just walking across the loft would cause cracking at the edges of the wall and ceiling. If it is flexing I would stick to just the usual Christmas decorations, suitcases and unwanted wedding presents!

A few photo's would help people give you a better response.
As it is we are just working in the dark with a hood over our head. :)

A few photo's would help people give you a better response.
As it is we are just working in the dark with a hood over our head. :)

Coincidentally that's what it feels like going up in the loft + 50 years worth of backfilled roof cement slowly migrating foreheads downwards ;)

I'll upload a pic shortly!

Sponsored Links
where you will get upstairs doors catching on the lock side is where you have a central wall with a door each side [in a "T" shape]with additional support added for a heavier roof in the attic bearing on the wall causing the wall to compress slightly and deforming the door frames

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back