Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning on adding the following to my back garden,

Outside floodlight 250Watt,
Some led lights to my decking,
And two small wall lights.

I have bought a three gang switch to switch the three of them that i want to have switch seperate.

What i want to do is connect them to a plug socket i have in the garage by doing the following.

Garage plug socket > rcd > junction box > switches > to the lights.

I have just a few questions so that i am sure if that's ok.

Is there anything wrong with doing it like i want to and would i have to notify anyone?

The switch i want to drill through to my kitchen diner bit and have them switched in their rather than in the garage, is this ok?

My last question is i am not sure what junction box to buy and what wire i would need to get to be able to do it, could you recommend anything at all please?

Thanks for your time and any help you can give, is an excellent site here.

Sponsored Links
Garage plug socket > rcd > junction box > switches > to the lights.
Why isn't that socket already RCD protected?

Why do you think you need a JB before the switch?

Are the LED lights ELV or LV (read this before answering: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands)

Is there anything wrong with doing it like i want to and would i have to notify anyone?
It's a bit tacky, I'm not sure that you know enough yet about how circuits are usually installed, and yes - you need to notify the council, and apply for Building Regulations approval before you start. You should read up on the information here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p and work out how you'd comply with P1 as you'll have to tell them that on the submission.

The switch i want to drill through to my kitchen diner bit and have them switched in their rather than in the garage, is this ok?
Do you have a clear idea in your mind of how everything will be wired up?

My last question is i am not sure what junction box to buy
You might not need one at all.

Or you might need anything up to a 6-way - it all depends how you want to do it.

and what wire i would need to get to be able to do it,
Too many variables of things like distance and route to be able to answer that.

could you recommend anything at all please?
I strongly recommend doing what it says on one of these:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back