what do the regs say about this..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a H&S job at work which needs doing urgent ( a light switch on some unistrut is too close to a door, the PIR failed and so it was dark in the store room. somebody walked in and gashed open their head on the unistrut.) my boss has asked me to temporarily move the switch. He wants me to use through crimps to join the cables as i need to extend the cables by 3 metres. i know that this is acceptable ( regs 526.3 part 4, and 526.5)

Problem is, the cables will now need to go through a piece of 20mm conduit. There are 16 2.5mm cables and they will not fit!

my boss has asked me to use reducing through crimps and use 1.5mm cable in the conduit to the switch. Is this allowed? this will only be temporary until we can have the warehouse lighting off over next weekend for a longer period of time (DB is 30 meters from switch and so new cables will have to be pulled in)

Sponsored Links
Id guess its wired in 2.5 for a reason. Also you will still struggle to get 16x 1.5's in the tube!

there are only 770 watts worth of tubes on the particular circuit i need to alter, so nowhere near the max current for 1.5mm. We have worked out we can just get them into the conduit if we pull them in all together tightly taped together.

is it against the regs though? im against the whole idea myself, but if it needs doing...

Cant you use copex and cable tie it to the unistrut for a temporary affair?

Sponsored Links
A 2.5mm² wire will not physically fit into a 1.5mm² crimp.

Don't forget there's nothing more permanant than a temporary fix.

This is about only the second time ever in DIYnot's history that I agree with holmslaw.

There are space factors for conduit and trunking. It is not acceptable to completely fill them with cables.

wouldn't it ultimately be quicker and easier to replace the busted PIR?

if it was acceptible with the PIR to light the way to the switch before then why isn't it now?

also if there's a risk from the unistrut then shouldn't that be addressed more so than the light switch?

it's still possible to gash your head open even in full light..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back