• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recessed_pattress.JPG

Sponsored Links
A double metal knockout box 25mm deep.

EDIT. Seen the poll. Out of two options, a back box.

Back box isn't really a definite name for it, but it is NOT a pattress.

It’s a metal box designed to be chased into a wall. So a back box.

it is not made to be surface mounted. A box manufactured for surface mounting is a patress. The image is not a patress.

I didn't know what the difference was. Cheers !!

Back box, internal, Patress external regardless of material. I have fitted plastic clip on in plasterboard in the past, that's a back box too then..?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if back box is the correct term - I'm guilty of calling a surface mounted pattress a back box on one occasion.

Is a back box always flush/recessed?

Is a back box always flush/recessed?
Tricky question. The box will always be at the “back” of a socket.

But…the term “back box” is not correct. In suppliers’ catalogues they are properly described as
Flush installation box
Steel installation box
Metal flush box
Etc
I expect some clever dick will find someone who lists these devices as back boxes and (indeed) that is what we all call them. But there are people (not too far from here) who describe the device with 3 rectangular holes as a “plug socket”. Whatever that is..,.,

I did a search for about 10 minutes, and mostly all of the sites called everything a 'pat/tress' I've always known all of them as the P word. Just something to make a post and make a conversation...

Ok. Can we trust Wikipedia?

it sayeth

A pattress or pattress box or fitting box is the container for the space behind electrical fittings such as power outlet sockets, light switches, or fixed light fixtures. Pattresses may be designed for either surface mounting or for embedding in the wall or skirting board.
Wikipedia

I just imagined it was a 'generic' term. Fusebox or CU, Lamp or Bulb, Live or Line, Earth or CPC.

The list is obviously endless. Ask anyone where is your 'consumer unit' and be like Huh?

Where's the fuse box. Job done !

I know my question did not apply to the 'general public' It was just a thought that is bugging me while watching different youtube channels refer to the same thing by BOTH names.

Ok. Can we trust Wikipedia?

it sayeth

A pattress or pattress box or fitting box is the container for the space behind electrical fittings such as power outlet sockets, light switches, or fixed light fixtures. Pattresses may be designed for either surface mounting or for embedding in the wall or skirting board.
Wikipedia

I never use Wiki for anything really. Remember the 'Elephants' a few years back. So many false changes it was taken down. God help us is we tried to Wiki the current C word...

I did a search for about 10 minutes, and mostly all of the sites called everything a 'pat/tress' I've always known all of them as the P word. Just something to make a post and make a conversation...

Looks like one of those things we have all got used to but is not entirely accurate.

You must have seen this site: they have the same carpet as you. :)

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Pattress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back