What's this bolt called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need to open a box of electronics - to repair it.
It's held together with security screws.
I can't find a bit / key to open it.
I need to find out what it's called - so I can ask about a key / bit to open it.
So:
Any idea what it's called?
Any idea where I can buy a key to operate it?

Regards to all.
View media item 24204

Sponsored Links
Erm.. the accessories used to rotate is called a "T" bit. I don't know what they are known by. Like a medium Pozi type screw takes a PZ2, the one you show is a T (number). Normal sizes for these are T10 or T15 with T10 being the smallest.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it ColJack.

I must admit though, the picture plays mind games with you as the first time I looked at it, I was sure it required a torx fitting!

Indeed, they are all diagrams of the screw head.

So if, for example, this is a hex head screw:

120px-Screw_Head_-_Hex_Socket.svg.png

and this is a Torx head screw:

120px-Screw_Head_-_Torx.svg.png

then if this is a polydrive head screw:

120px-Screw_Head_-_Polydrive.svg.png

the one in Wooster's photo is not a Polydrive.

A Polydrive® bit has 6 teeth at equal spacing and with flat tips to the teeth. Size is determined by OD diameter at the star points. Functionally, it is similar to Torx® and Bristol Spline drive, all of which are systems using internal bit-socket drivers along with specially-designed bolts, screws, and other fasteners. Its primary advantage over older fastener driver standards, such as the common Phillips® head (and its sibling Pozidriv®), is that it resists camout, and is thus used in higher torque applications such as brakes and drive-shafts.

Here is a photo of a Polydrive bit:

F5H5F4UFQMXFE9E.THUMB.jpg

Wooster - is this your item that you need to repair? Does it matter if you don't end up with the same screws being replaced? Looking at where it is I'd be surprised if the screw needed a lot of torque to remove - have you tried the tips of a pair of needle pliers?

The Virgin cable box on the wall in my flat uses them. I managed to turn them using this set from Maplin. If you get the right amount of pressure and are firm but gentle enough it will work just fine - had them in and out a few times without damage.

Colin C

EDIT: Maplin's website sucks, it's stock code N57FX.

I've had that screw in my auto tin opener - why use that type of screw for that I don't know.

I've also seen it in an electronic device fitted with a light sensor, that when the device was opened, the sensor tripped, and destroyed some part of the circuit, so whatever you are trying to gain access to OP, I don't think the manufacturer wanted you to be looking at?

Re, the comment about the cable box, a mate of mine took similar screws out of their STB, poked and prodded, and awoke 30 minutes later, after being blasted across the room! Once power was applied to the box it stated "Settop box has been tampered with - please call Cable TV", so presume a similar setup. The card reader in STB apply 1000V to reprogramme the card?

I removed the screws using needlenose pliers, and utterly ruined them in the process. All for fixing a tin opener!

Re, the comment about the cable box, a mate of mine took similar screws out of their STB, poked and prodded, and awoke 30 minutes later, after being blasted across the room! Once power was applied to the box it stated "Settop box has been tampered with - please call Cable TV", so presume a similar setup. The card reader in STB apply 1000V to reprogramme the card?

Sorry, but that sounds like *******s to me, unless he was stupid enough to touch the SMPS when it was on. I seriously doubt a cable box has a feature that knocks you out for opening it.

1) Where would 1000v have come from?

2) Any shock powerful enough to blast someone across the room and render them unconscious for 30 minutes would probably just kill them IRL.

I don't think the box had some kind of vendetta against him, just that he probably touched the mains resovoir cap, that was still charged. Not saying all that as fact, but what I was told. And you know the story of the fisherman that caught a fish "---------------------" long? :LOL:

The chip in a MCRW card is programmed using 1000v flash, but low current, by using step up transformer on the reader itself. afaik.

But I can confirm that the old style analogue box did indeed say 'This box has been tampered with, please call customer support', or words to that effect, and he had tampered with it.

I don't think the box had some kind of vendetta against him, just that he probably touched the mains resovoir cap, that was still charged.

Which wouldn't knock you out or send you flying. ~325VDC hurts, though. Done that myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back