What do you guys thing of this? (Quality of new roof build)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

We’ve just had an extension built and I innocently showed a friend at work a photo of the roof and he said that the roof tiling looked a terrible job.

He thinks there’s too much cement between the tile and it’s a bit messy.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• EB329E25-7D5A-496E-93AA-503680E38BEB.jpeg
    EB329E25-7D5A-496E-93AA-503680E38BEB.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DEF01C98-B025-4967-BE0B-68F695DC3B09.jpeg
    DEF01C98-B025-4967-BE0B-68F695DC3B09.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
there’s too much cement between the tile and it’s a bit messy.
+1

We've had far worse on this forum, and it would have looked nicer if they had struck the mortar back a bit on the bonnet hip tiles. Have you signed off the job? or are the builders still on site? If they are still working for you, you could have a go at telling them it's not acceptable. A quick google brings up pictures of what it should look like. e.g. https://www.dreadnought-tiles.co.uk/fittings

Having said that, it would be a pig of a job to change now. Was the roofer a subcontractor to the builder? Might give you a little bit of leverage because your builder might fight your corner if they don't want a bad reference.

Thanks for reply.

The roofer was one of the builders. It’s like a team that does all and apparently this was his “roofing guy”.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks lovely IMO

Reading my post above back, I tend to agree - the overall job looks tidy - I think my post above reads a bit too negative. It's not terrible by any means, but could just have been neater down the hips.

Thanks both. I tend to agree. I wouldn't have noticed unless someone pointed it out (like they did). I thought the thickness of the cement between tiles looked too thick, but upon closer inspection on one of the original tiles at the bottom of the new tiles in one pf the photos - they have matched the original thickness.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.32.03.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.32.03.png
    135 KB · Views: 55
The tiling looks OK

The pointing is shiite. It's like he couldn't be bothered, or just wasn't able.

There's just no effort to even make the mortar look smooth. Whether the bed joints are too thick is debatable. Less is normally better.

It does raise the question about what else he was not bothered about or able to do.

Mortar work is poor.
The edge of the bonnets should be clean and not mortar stained/covered .
The pointing should be slightly under cut. very lazy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back