What does the left side of a car mean in the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the term left side of a car is used in the UK, does it mean when viewed from the drivers seat, or when standing in front of the car and looking at the windscreen?

Added 4 Sept:-

I should have added that I need to know because my manual says to bleed the front left brake first.

Sponsored Links
Sitting in the drivers position nearside is the nearest to the kerb ie passenger side offside would be the drivers side.

The drivers seat in a righthand side caris the off side, the passengers side is the near side as it refers to the pavement.

Andy

Sponsored Links
When the term left side of a car is used in the UK, does it mean when viewed from the drivers seat, or when standing in front of the car and looking at the windscreen?

The left side of a UK car is the same side as any other car. It's to your left when in the driver's seat, or any other seat for that matter.

Yes, the convention is "as you sit in the driver's seat". That's an internationally accepted convention, so a "right hand drive" car has the steering wheel on the right hand side (as you sit in the car) and a "left hand drive" has the steering wheel on the left.

Thanks, I should have added that I need to know because my manual says to bleed the front left brake first.

Thanks, I should have added that I need to know because my manual says to bleed the front left brake first.

Best to bleed the longest pipe first, the one next the ditch. Then work back to the shortest pipe, front next the white line.

But sequence of bleeding should not be critical, just bleed until all air has left the system.

Hope this helps

The left side of a UK car is the same side as any other car. It's to your left when in the driver's seat, or any other seat for that matter.

Unless you're sitting in a rear-facing seat. ;)

The drivers seat in a righthand side caris the off side, the passengers side is the near side as it refers to the pavement.

Andy
But in the USA the pavement is the road and our pavement is the sidewalk - and turtles come out from the manhole covers :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back