What does this black box in roof for? What does it do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DEFFFC1D-1CD9-4AF8-A3CC-FEA3203BC6B2.jpeg
7C8BF31D-28E9-4053-92C7-3E5D810ECEEB.jpeg
Hi I’ve a leak in the walls of my house above is this black box I’m just wondering if the leak is from that box can anyone advise me what it’s for what it does thank you

Sponsored Links
Have you got a broken or blocked gutter that is running down the wall outside?

002ACECD-429E-4A8A-83E6-8416F3EEA7FF.jpeg
Hi thanks for your replies I will check tomorrow the damp only happens when it rains could this black box be leaking and causing the damp? A quick picture of the roof tiles show one out of place, could this be causing the damp unlikely I don’t know

Sponsored Links
the damp only happens when it rains

Then it's unlikely to be the f&e cistern (or black box as you insist on calling it).

Quick check with hands around the base of the f&e will soon tell you.

Next time it rains, go take a look at what's happening to the rainwater as it's being shed off of your roof, into the gutter.

lead work looks like it's poor as well and could be tracking between

Ok thanks a lot everyone for the advice I will keep you posted cheers

Can't tell exactly from your photo, need couple other angles but you need to check that the lead flashing and tiles all watershed over and into the gutter, not behind it.

Looks a little like flashband as opposed to lead, and that guttering appears like it’s holding water, everything points to external leak. Also has the tank been decommissioned?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back