What does this mean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i got a scantronic 9600, i will be putting another sab at the back of the house soon (risco novagard 2) ideally i would like this on sab for maximum volume but can sacrifice putting it on scb if need be, i noticed the drop in volume but it was still earpiercing non the less. I have taken a current measurement of the novagard in sab and it was 450ma.
The draw from the system is 240ma in standby and 850ma in alarm.

20190722_184945.jpg if i run the novagard in sab the current will be 1300ma so a slight overload, however am i correct in thinking the extra current will be taken from the battery? So in which case it will work without problems? Or is it better to just run the second bell as scb? If it helps the temperature in the house is usually 18 to 20 degrees and the panel is not in the airing cupboard. Can anyone clarify what the battery bit means. Would it be okay to run the second bell as sab or is it too risky. Then again the 9600 is old school so maybe?
Any help would be great
Thanks

Sponsored Links
the current in alarm must be below what the circuit can handle.

It's not uncommon, when using two bells to look at where you take power from if you want max volume.
So what power options do the bells have, SAB, Low current, SCB.

Not familiar with the bell in question, so would have to look at manuals, but also need to know what the other bell is too.

the current in alarm must be below what the circuit can handle.

It's not uncommon, when using two bells to look at where you take power from if you want max volume.
So what power options do the bells have, SAB, Low current, SCB.
The first bellbox is a klaxon flashguard xtra i believe. Did the picture show up okay? I intend to take its power from the bell power, 0v, 12v, bell and strobe in parallel, then program a spare zone and use the a/t terminals for the tamper return. I have to admit i am not sure what the bell output is rated for as it does not specifically say.

Not familiar with the bell in question, so would have to look at manuals, but also need to know what the other bell is too.

Im not sure what happened there, the front bell is a flashguard xtra.
I will be taking the novagards power from the same place as the first sounder, 0v,12v bell and strobe in parallel, then program a spare zone and use its a/t terminals for the tamper return.

Sponsored Links
power is going to be a problem so you will have scb at least one bell, as this uses very little power

1250 at 20oC and 800 at 40oC so at you will have less than 1250 to play with at temperatures above 20oC

I suggest you try this at the panel, and check you can get it working before putting new bell on the house

have to test it in alarm to confrm power consumption I wouldn't exceed 1Amp if possible this will give you scope of the temp gets any higher.

Thanks, In which case i will put the novagard on scb, I thought the 9600 being old school it would tolerate 2 bells on sab without issues, hence the pictures for clarifications. Sounds like its too risky so i will be sensible and put it on scb tbh i didnt think the volume reduction was too bad, it was still loud.

I wonder what that battery part meant? Rest assured i will put the bell in scb. Out of curiousity what would happen in reality in an alarm condition If the second bell was put on sab and the draw was 1300ma? Would the panel blow immediately or would the fuse or poly just heat up slowly? Would it likely survive the full 15 minute alarm time? I mean it is not a gross overload we are talking about here.
Thanks

curiosity killed the cat?

WRT the battery, on this panel it is saying that if your total consumption in alarm is greater than the output from the alarm it will use the battery to make it up.

If the battery isn't big enough to supply the extra load for the duration of the alarm then a bigger battery is required.

If your battery is new and in good condition it probably would be good for 15 minutes, as the battery ages the current it stores will be less, but your not going to know unless you can measure it. relying on the battery to supply the extra power and it not being there it wont function properly.

6Ah is the size of the battery the panel can charge up within the standards the panel was made for.

I have tested batteries and they have been above capacity stated (new), all the way down to nothing at all.

So you need to start with the calculated consumption, look at what the battery has stored, look at the duration of alarm and do some maths.

however the supply is dependant on temperature, according to the figures it could vary by 450mA between 20 and 40oC.

I wouldn't be so keen to use the battery in this way, but yes it can be done if the numbers are right.

Hi, one last question, is there anything stopping me using two 6v batteries in series on the novagard to maximise its volume on scb? Or are bellbox charging circuits only designed for one 6v ,8.4v battery only?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back