What drill bit needed to get through a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
We are trying to put up a curtain pole above a window.
We cannot get trough the lintel.
We have tried with a cordless drill and a big mains drill. No joy.
What drill but is needed for this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming that it's a steel lintel it needs a cobalt HSS twist drill (M42). Best drilling a small 3mm (or so) pilot before opening up the full size IMHO

Or it could be a concrete lintel in which case a masonry drill will be needed although they can be difficult if the hole hits steel reinforcing or hard aggregate.
What drill bits have you tried and what sort of noise does it make? A steel lintel will sound distinctly tinny in comparison to concrete.

We have tried again with new drill bit for concrete and also Steele.
Still not able to get any joy.
It definitely has a tinny sound to it.

If I was to put up a timber baton what am
I best to stick it up with? Will no more nails actually work or is there something stronger out there you know of?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are trying to drill steel, then it's an HSS jobber drill you need - say 4mm diameter to start with. No hammer action, plenty of pressure on the drill, drill in short bursts....WD 40 down the hole does no harm.
I wouldn't rely on No Nails alone.
Maybe you can get a fixing just to each side of the lintel, which would be a start?
John :)

Not sure it would be a good idea to drill the steel reinforced bars running through the lintel, will it not weaken its strength, so bear that in mind when drilling, especially in the mid span. then again, evaluate how much weight it is supporting above it, how many stories etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back