What exactly does the government have to hide from it's own ministers?

Sponsored Links
I thought someone was being sarcastic in another thread.

It's real, so much for a fair debate and free country.

According to The Sun, Mr Duncan Smith told a friend: “My civil servants don’t work for Jeremy Heywood, they work for me.
It shows how arrogant and ignorant IDS is:
Civil servants are employees of the Crown and not of the British parliament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_Majesty's_Civil_Service
Sir Jeremy Heywood is the Prime Minister’s most senior policy adviser. He acts as Secretary to the Cabinet and is responsible for:
  • providing professional leadership to the Civil Service
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/civil-service/about/our-governance

I thought someone was being sarcastic in another thread.

It's real, so much for a fair debate and free country.
It's standard practice and time honoured tradition of civil service.
The Brexit-ers just want a different playing field.
Probably indicative of their hope for a new Trade Agreement with EU in the event of a Brexit.
Then, if it ever happens, they'll be blaming EU for failing to agree to a Trade Agreement on terms as laid down by Brexit-ers.:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Well at least he's being hauled before MP's to explain why... (and he's also denying access to information which could benefit the Stayers),, Does make you wonder though? Sounds like he's sitting on the fence.

Well at least he's being hauled before MP's to explain why... (and he's also denying access to information which could benefit the Stayers),, Does make you wonder though? Sounds like he's sitting on the fence.
You're not sitting on the fence. You already have your preconceived opinion:
Are you a top civil servant (you know the one, who's been told to deny the Out ministers access to any information regarding the EU that could damage the chances of the Stayers) ????
I'm already aware of tradition and practice, unlike IDS, but I look forward to the explanation that Jeremy Heywood offers.
Just for once, Jock, read the actual letter and don't jump to your normal misguided and prejudicial assumption. Although it, no doubt, mollifies your propagation of urban mythology.
The government's position is clear and unequivocal:
The negotiations have now concluded and following discussion at Cabinet, the UK Government’s position is set out in the attached White Paper. In sum: in the referendum the Government’s clear recommendation is that the United Kingdom should remain a member of a reformed EU.
As set out in the Civil Service Code, the Civil Service supports the Government of the day in developing and implementing its policies. This includes in relation to EU and EU-related business and in supporting the Government to make the case for the UK to remain in a reformed EU. The Code also sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants and sets out the core values of honesty, objectivity, impartiality and integrity which must be observed at all times. In supporting the Government’s position on the EU referendum, civil servants should therefore continue to operate in line with the Civil Service Code and the normal rules on civil service conduct and government communications. In turn, Ministers must continue to abide by the Ministerial Code and not ask civil servants to act in any way that would conflict with the Civil Service Code.

Departments should continue to provide support in the normal way to Ministers operating in their ministerial capacity. This should include support for meetings on government business, ministerial visits and attendance at external events relating to government policy. Civil servants can draft ministerial speeches and provide briefing on government policy for Ministers to use at such events, including those organised by groups campaigning for the same outcome as the Government on the EU referendum. Ministerial briefing may explain the UK Government’s policy position and offer comment on other policy positions in the usual way. As with any other policy position, civil servants may advise Ministers on the likely pros and cons of different approaches and how they could be implemented.

As set out in the Prime Minister’s letter it will not be appropriate or permissible for the Civil Service to support Ministers who oppose the Government’s official position by providing briefing or speech material on this matter.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nent_Secretaries_-_EU_Referendum_Guidance.pdf

Sponsored Links
Back