What exactly is a 5 lever mortice deadlock ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These are required by my new home insurers.

I'm not clear whether what I already have qualifies and dont want to give them the chance to nullify any claims :)

So, I have what I consider to be standard deadlocks of the "non-Yale lock" type - i.e. turn the key once around and it locks - turn around once the other to unlock - Is that likely to fit the bill ? What do you look for to identify 5-levers ?

Thanks for any pointers

John

Sponsored Links
you mean one of
p1201479_l.jpg
these

why not ask your insurance co what they want / will except then see what is written on the lock

Yep that looks like what's on my door. Should be ok - but I will give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks

John

the lock you have should be kite marked, and have number of leavers it has written on it, look closely at pic, you can just see it

Sponsored Links
WINDOW SECURITY

1. It might not be necessary to use all of the windows on the ground floor. Consider securing the most vulnerable by fixing them permanently closed. Even very msall windows can be a security risk.
2. Fit security locks to opening windoes.
3. Fit security laminating film or security glass. Burglars try to avoid breaking glass, as it is noisly and difficult to climb through. Laminating film makes glass more difficult to break and remove for entry.
4. Louvred windows cannot be locked
5. Never leave window lock keys in the window.
HINT

If you have louvred windows, make removing the glass louvres difficult. Fit the glass into place with a resin adhesive, such as Araldite.

INTERNAL SECURITY

Homebase stocks a good range of security b oxes in which to keep valuables, including paperwork such as insurance policies, you can even hide your valuables in a safe designed to look like a book. Electric engraving tools and ultra-violet sensitive pens are also available, for making valuable items. ark them with your post code followed by the number of your house or the first letters of its name (if it has no number).
FRONT DOORS

Two locks will spread the load and look more secure from the outside, acting as a stronger deterrent .It is necessary to use the locks to secure the door though .
1. Fit an atuomatically dead-locking cylinder rim lock to BS3621. Place it one-third of the way down the door
2. Fit a mortice dead lock to BS3621 with a minimum of 5 levers. Place this about one-third of the way up the door, avoiding the joint area. It is not enough to fit a mortice lock o its own; if it is not used, then the door is unsecured.
3. Fit a door viewer and/or a door chain to enable you to identify callers before you open the door.

REAR AND SIDE DOORS

1. Fit a two-bolt mortice lock to BS3621 with a minimum of 5 levers. This type of lock allows the door to be opened and shut with a handly or know when it is not locked.
2. Fit security mortice bolts, one at the top and one at the bottom. Alternatively, use surface-mounted security 'pressbolts'. Push them to lock the door and use the key to open it.
3. Sliding patio doors should be fitted with special locks at the top and bottom of each door, to prevent the door from being forced off its runnders.

INTERNAL DOORS

Other than the internal garage doors, internal doors should not be locked. If burglars gain entry, forcing open locked internal doors with simply cause additional damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back