What fibres are used in fibre reinforced cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have quite alot of fibreglass matting left over from old projects. I was hoping this is the stuff they use in fibre reinforced cement/concrete? If so.... I'll get my scissors out :)

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I recall attempts were made years ago to make fibreglass reinforced concrete, but the ordinary glassfibre degrades in the alkaline mixture. Because the individual filaments are so thin, erosion of the surface takes them to practically nothing.

You can get fibres to mix into concrete now, I don't know what they are made of, but it's different.

Sponsored Links
I saw some of these fibres in wickes a while back and it looked like a plastic bag cut into pieces. Reading that cemex site says they are Polypropylene which didnt look very fibre-y. It was just a fleeting thought more out of interest than something i'll actually do.

Cheers for the replies

You can however get GFRC which is glass fiber reinforced concrete. It's very thick so it needs a super plasticiser.

I think poly propylene is found in rope and tarpaulins for anyone wanting to get their scissors out :mrgreen:

You do realise that the fibres do not reinforce the screed to make it any stronger, but just control initial shrinkage cracking.

Ah thats interesting, thanks Woody. I was suprised at the small quantity wickes sold of these reinforcing fibres and thought what use if any would that be. I think it was around £4.99 a bag. Might be ok for a garden step project but not at all economically viable for a larger project. I will stick to reinforced mesh, rebar or a stonger mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back