What happens if a phone line is cut on a non dualcom system?

M

mdf290

Presumably due to lack of a confirmed alarm the Police cannot be called but would the keyholders be notified?
Can the monitoring stations differentiate between a phone ine being cut and a problem with a BT exchange.
Indeed what if the local exchange stops working?

Sponsored Links
The installer gets into trouble for using a line that is not installed in a secure way.

I would imagine that the routine line checking at the exchange will detect the line has been cut. If the correct test interval, test method and priority have been assigned to the line testing then the necessary parties will be informed of the line having been cut. Also the alarm system will be aware the line has been cut ( loss of line voltage ) and react as necessary.

Yes the monitoring station will know whether it is a line fault or an exchange fault.

Line testing can be the basic check which it to test if there is at least a 1.8 uF capacitor in series with 470K ohm resistor across the line. Or using an intelligent version of the Master socket a more comprehensive test can be performed but that information is not for public domain.

Loss or failure of a whole exchange would immediately invoke the necessary actions in all interested parties.

The installer gets into trouble for using a line that is not installed in a secure way.
Sorry Bernard, not correct there.

The installing company always wants to install the line securely. The problem is the customer, who will not pay the Openreach charges, in any case, go to the poles nearby and what do you see?

The owner of one of the properties I am key holder for got his builder to trench in a UG duct for Openreach to use to bring the cable to the inside of the house. The cable is UG all the way to the road side cabinet. The installer / monitoring station would not accept a line that was accessible and the installer made this very clear to the house owner as a condition of the contract to install.

Sponsored Links
The owner of one of the properties I am key holder for got his builder to trench in a UG duct for Openreach to use to bring the cable to the inside of the house. The cable is UG all the way to the road side cabinet. The installer / monitoring station would not accept a line that was accessible and the installer made this very clear to the house owner as a condition of the contract to install.
Well I'd say that is most certainly the exception to the rule, but even then it is still accessible with a little thought/looking.
Been in this business for as long as you have been retired :) never come across that before. I'd suggest the ARC does not have much work :eek:

I'd be interested to know the ARC (monitoring station).
Send a PM, or not. Don't post it here though.

Off out for a short while, catch you later.

did anybody read the post NON Dual comm i assume they also inc redcare emmizon eg ? nothing will happen ! ! !

Presumably due to lack of a confirmed alarm the Police cannot be called but would the keyholders be notified?
Can the monitoring stations differentiate between a phone ine being cut and a problem with a BT exchange.
Indeed what if the local exchange stops working?

Depends, on what signalling IS installed, not what signalling ISNT installed. :rolleyes:

If it's RedCare, everyone knows when the line is cut. RedCare is out-of-band signals on a standard telephone line (a bit like adding ADSL Broadband). The ARC's scanner will show up the fault and the STU in the intruder alarm will generate a Line Fault output.

If it's a digital communicator (digi), the intruder alarm should see the line fault but the ARC will have no idea. Recent systems require the alarm to send a test call on the digi to the ARC (BSIA Form 175) so they should notice when they don't get one. But this could be upto 24 hours after the line is cut. :(

Sorry Bernard, the ARCs (that we use) don't check the lines to digi customers. And NO, they don't know the difference between a line fault and BT engineering work! :cry: We've had many a customer whose been called a stupid-o'clock to be told that there's a line fault 'cos BT are pulling wires out. This includes RedCare connections.

If it's a speech dialler or similar, it will will depend on the unit and how it's been wired.

In any case, if there is no signal to the ARC before the line is cut, only the keyholders will be called by the ARC. If there is an INTRUDER signal followed by a line fault (RedCare), it will be policed (as a confirmed alarm).

At least, that's my understanding of it.

And NO, they don't know the difference between a line fault and BT engineering work! :cry:
I was refering to a fault in the exchange which generated a prompt alarm indicating loss of service.

We've had many a customer whose been called a stupid-o'clock to be told that there's a line fault 'cos BT are pulling wires out. This includes RedCare connections.
For me it was private wires for emergency service communications being dissed or re-routed. Re-routing affected the delay along the line and paging transmissions went out of phase.

When my mother was on call ( medical provider ) her phone line was classed as a prompt repair line. One morning a GPO technician rung the door bell and asked to verify the phone line was back in order. A digger had cut cables near the exchange and the line had been re-routed via the alternative route. First we knew about it. But that was in the 1960's when customer service was paramount.

When my mother was on call ( medical provider ) her phone line was classed as a prompt repair line. One morning a GPO technician rung the door bell and asked to verify the phone line was back in order. A digger had cut cables near the exchange and the line had been re-routed via the alternative route. First we knew about it. But that was in the 1960's when customer service was paramount.
That service is still there, if required, at a cost.

To Bernard

The Grades come about by ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers), Insurance Companies, British & European Standards Institutions, oh, and don't forget the Alarm Cos different associations, sitting around tables for months and months arguing about all the ins and outs that have to do with all the legalities of each country's requirements.

In general the above is followed by the UK section of Europe, the rest, as with everything else, do as they please.

Do you think I should post the above or just forget the one argumentative person who's only experience of alarms is the Yale he has fitted?

That service is still there, if required, at a cost.
But sadly not as well managed as it was. It is too easy to hand out "free" mobile phones to businessed and "important" people whose phone line has been cut and re-direct calls to them. Health and safety regulations delay the repair of cable faults. No gas detector means no work below ground level being one reason for delays in repairing cables after metal theft.

Do you think I should post the above or just forget the one argumentative person who's only experience of alarms is the Yale he has fitted?
He won't benefit but others about to make a decision on which system to buy are likely to be able to make a more informed decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back