What hardware to mount lamp so it can slide on a rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to mount a lamp on a rail underneath a loft-bed so that lamp can slide on the rail. What hardware would allow me to mount a lamp like this and move it back and forth on the rail? Thanks.

t3Go4Nd.png

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to slide an angle poise lamp & how would you make the electrical side of it safe?

Have a look at track lighting (I'd go for the 12v stuff).
Or modify
and use a coiled supply cable.

Seems a pointless task ? If lamp is on an arm as shown it can be moved to any position , rail would not improve on that .
I would use led strip or flat panel for better light spread .

Sponsored Links
I want to slide it so it can light up a task anywhere on my desks without taking up desk space. Without the rail, it will be limited to a smaller area.

The wiring will be managed with one of these.

I'm thinking something like this would work but what's the cheapest option to get a square tube with a strip cut out of it like this? Does this profile have a name? I can then mount the lamp to a plate inside the tube.

mbSG4Qx.png

Why only light one small area when you can light the entire area with a panel 10mm thick . Your suggested design is huge by comparison and wastes overhead space?
Why create a solution to a problem you created by using a lamp too small for the job?

Why do I have to argue every time I come here for help? You really need me to explain the purpose of a desk lamp? What the hell are you talking about "wastes overhead space"? Since when was overhead space in short supply? Forget it.

I'm sure that Foxhole is just wanting to understand why your intent on doing it this way, I see no arguing.

It is a lot of work to go through just to get light over a desk when a full panel would light the whole desk.

You could put that channel you showed in between the ones in the video and make the whole thing for a few quid. Then probably decide that its a pain in the but and wish you had lit up the whole area instead lol

Thanks Mattylad, just trying to understand why you would want a solution to a problem that does not seem to exist.

If you want it to move smoothy by hand buy something like this:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-guides-rails/4885029/
A bit of channel with a block inside is just going to jam up, need to be moved at just the right angle etc and be a nightmare to get right. Also what's to stop the plate rocking inside that channel when the arm is extended out twisting that internal plate. Channel like that exists, called unistrut but its a really bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back