What has happened here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my first post - so please accept my apologies for jumping straight in to the request for help and reliable knowledge.

We have an exterior wall, that (now it has degraded sufficiently) I can see the construction.
It’s a “lightweight” room built on a flat roof (torch felt). The main wall is exposed to heavy weather. The wall is made up of 2 stacked 5x2s, sat on small blocks of wood and tile in order to be level, then a timber wall, with a French door inserted. The wall is insulated (half with celotex, half with rock-wool), and then clad with OSB. The OSB is covered with tyvek, then battened horizontally, then this was meshed (galvanised) and nailed (galvanised I guess). Then finally rendered.the render is obviously very different thicknesses and the whole mesh has rotted as have the fixings. Meaning the render is “floating”. The OSB boards are stained at best, dust at worst. As is the first 1” of the timber r]frame (from outside-in). The stacked tx2’s resemble a sponges most of there lengths.

Where would you a) go to claim for this based on the zero support we’ve had from the “professionals” we used to ensure we did not buy a dog
I am hoping to rebuild myself., using a much larger bi-fold to minimise the amount of plastering, cladding, wall construction needed as I think it will be cheaper, more aesthetically pleasing as it will match the ground floor, and potentially add value that we are losing hand over fist atm.
Should the surveyor have picked up on this?

October 2019 - found a house we liked (the wife slightly more)….
November 2019 - instructed a survey by Countrywide Surveyors (level 2 of 3 options).
April 2020 (during covid19) - we self-moved in.
June 2022 - returned from a holiday to find a leak in the lounge, seemed to be from a hole in an exterior wall, that had been degrading slowly, but surely since we moved in. Insurance sent an inspector out, refused a claim because of mis-built wall causing the water leak…..we patched it up and had no ingress until….
October 2023 - further leaking, now insured with Ageas. Looked through the storm register for 6/8 weeks. Nothing to claim against….
November 2023 - reached out and made a request to claim against the surveyors. Whilst this was being slowly investigated the wall was crumbling.
January 2024 - we were offered £400 by surveyors. Claiming it was a goodwill gesture, but is only available if we waive any claim against them. They also stated they “could have advised” against the roof (which may also have risks depending which roofer you speak to).

Thoughts please?

Attachments

• DJI_0032.jpeg
    DJI_0032.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2237.jpeg
    IMG_2237.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    739.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2235.jpeg
    IMG_2235.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back