What have they done to insulation tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a number of occassions I have found insulation tape is coming unstuck - ultimately unsave. I seem to remember with the old woven stuff this never happened. I can't put it on any tighter, am I buying the wrong (cheap) tape - (glossy) or doing something else wrong?

Sponsored Links
Insulation tape has gone cheapo.

Terminal blocks too.

Galv back boxes often missing the earth terminal...a winge to the wholesaler results in plenty of free boxes.

Insulation tape? Used for everything, apart from insulation!

Just read the OP's "ultimately unsafe".........That is a little worrying.

Sponsored Links
I use it for attatching cable to my cable rods, white tape is handy for marking cables too.

Also has uses for emergency first aid.

Keep it in your pocket ( i.e. warm ) & remember to stretch it when applying. The stuff we are getting at work atm is downright rubbish but still works if you follow them rules.

If you want it to stay stuck use self-amalgamating tape - but be aware that you have to stretch it, and it won't stick to anything but itself - pretty useful stuff nonetheless - or use heatshrink - but don't use a fag lighter to shrink it apparently :oops:

Thanks for the answers, happen to think that the use of tape is one of the most dangerous general practices I have come across, but there you go life can't always be serious, from replies : -

- don't use insulation tape for insulation (um! wonder what that means to non -sparks)

- cheap is "not good" but better quality (eg. 3M)

- keep warm and stretch when wrapping.

My recent uses : bulking up end of twin flex to lamp such that cable grip would hold better

: indicating live feed on wall switch )red tape on black wire) (OK agreed sleeve would be better)

: taping back unused earth wire on double insulated light fitting.

: I still prefer to wrap choc blocks. Athough limit use as much as possible.

: oh! as someone said, I have used it to stop blood getting on the wall paper.

I am old enough to have unwrapped a few "not so safe joints" made with that black sticky woven stuff - but at least it stopped on - as I am sure others have.

Utimately unsafe ; I tend to use it only in places where I want it to stop on if it comes off yes can be ultimately unsafe ; do not use it in places where if it comes off it poses an immediate danger i.e leaves an exposed conductor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back