What have you been doing today?

Promised me they’d be here at 12.25. It’s that now and no sign of them. Good job I’m not sitting on the side of a motorway and I was able to walk home from where I broke down. ;)
Now updated to 3.10 pm. No doubt that will change again at 3.00. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The final tidying up, of my replacement consumer unit, adding numbers to each cable core, both L and N, for each circuit. That job went well, no trips no faults found.

Avril arrived back yesterday, and opted for F&C, from the local, which was surprisingly - open on an Easter Monday - delish two whale sized fish, the only size they sell, plus one portion of chips, more than enough for two, but their prices have increased, now £13.50 for 2xF, and 1xC. For today, we had sausage, mash, cabbage, and gravy, cooked by me, she peeled the spuds :) She had been busy, organising things in the caravan, ready for a week's trip away, quite soon.

Finally getting after a nasty chest infection that lasted at least 5 weeks. Quite a few I know have had similar, inc. family.
You are lucky!

I have had a cough and breathing issues since I caught CV-19 May/June last year. really made a mess of our pre-chrimble holiday. At one time it looked like I was going to have to stay (or get a boat home)

Presently having to record expired flow rate on a daily basis, threatened with Asthma inhaler - really not impressed as it's curtailing my sport. Just hope I can get sorted out whilst there is some of the Summer left...

Sponsored Links
two whale sized fish, the only size they sell, plus one portion of chips, more than enough for two, but their prices have increased, now £13.50 for 2xF, and 1xC.
Bloody bargain! Our local charges £4.50 for standard size chips (more than enough for two) and one large cod (whale size?) is.......£16.75!

Up at the workshop at the moment - just removed the clutch master cylinder on the Golf. Bit of a faff - had to take all the turbo pipes and the EGR out of the way. Ended up taking the whole pedal assembly out. While I was under there I noticed a CV boot was cracked and leaking grease so I'll be changing that at the same time.

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg

Has a phone call from yet another of Mrs Motties mums neighbours - she's gone walkabout again and knocked them up at 2.45am saying she’s locked herself out. She's currently giving her a cuppa and Mrs Mottie is on her way down there to let her in. That’s twice in the last week. Had the dementia nurse round yesterday and seeing the doctor today for extremely high BP. I think it might be time she has to go in a home - it’s not fair on her, her kids but especially her neighbours. As much as I’d feel sorry for them, I know I wouldn’t like it if I had a neighbour like that knocking me up in the middle of the night on a permanent basis.

Has a phone call from yet another of Mrs Motties mums neighbours - she's gone walkabout again and knocked them up at 2.45am saying she’s locked herself out. She's currently giving her a cuppa and Mrs Mottie is on her way down there to let her in. That’s twice in the last week. Had the dementia nurse round yesterday and seeing the doctor today for extremely high BP. I think it might be time she has to go in a home - it’s not fair on her, her kids but especially her neighbours. As much as I’d feel sorry for them, I know I wouldn’t like it if I had a neighbour like that knocking me up in the middle of the night on a permanent basis.

So sorry to hear your news mate, hope you manage to find a resolution. Somebody or other talking the other day said it's bad enough when somebody close dies, but with dementia it's as though they die a hundred times.
Stay strong.

Phil.

So sorry to hear your news mate, hope you manage to find a resolution. Somebody or other talking the other day said it's bad enough when somebody close dies, but with dementia it's as though they die a hundred times.
Stay strong.

Phil.
Thanks. It was gradually getting worse but she dropped off a Cliff edge with a urine infection of all things. This morning was the worse though - she didn’t have her key it was still on the inside of the door so Mrs Mottie couldn’t open it with hers, she had the garage door fob and inner door key but that wasn’t working, neither were the two cameras - lounge and front door. Apparently a bulb had blown and tripped a breaker in the consumer unit which knocked them out. Neighbours husband jumped over the fence only to find the patio doors wide open! Mrs Mottie is still down there and has had to knock work on the head for the second day running. She is absolutely knackered. This can’t go on and she and her brother and sister are going to have to sort out some respite care today to start with.

Thanks. It was gradually getting worse but she dropped off a Cliff edge with a urine infection of all things. This morning was the worse though - she didn’t have her key it was still on the inside of the door so Mrs Mottie couldn’t open it with hers, she had the garage door fob and inner door key but that wasn’t working, neither were the two cameras - lounge and front door. Apparently a bulb had blown and tripped a breaker in the consumer unit which knocked them out. Neighbours husband jumped over the fence only to find the patio doors wide open! Mrs Mottie is still down there and has had to knock work on the head for the second day running. She is absolutely knackered. This can’t go on and she and her brother and sister are going to have to sort out some respite care today to start with.
I feel for you and the wife. I had elderly family develop Dementia, it's probably one of the problems with getting old that is best observed with regular visits. My cousin and I agree on the point as we both live 2 hours away from where our parents lived and so we didn't visit as often as we should. Cousin visited her mum on 3 to 4 week intervals, I visited my side of the family at worst, fortnightly but work gave me chance to visit more frequently (employer had an office less than ten miles from family home).
My aunty lost her memory, started emptying her house, didn't know what or when she was eating, was ringing cousin either constantly or not for days.
I had made comment to the doctor about the smell of my fathers urine - rather than taking my word about it he asked my father about it and dad said he didn't think any thing was wrong. Since his death I've discovered that urine infection is a symptom and precursor to Dementia, obvious sign is strong smelling urine - get you MIL on antibiotics to treat urine infection ASAP - even if you have to stand over MIL to ensure ehe takes her medicine!
I only discovered how bad my dad was when he took up house breaking (into his own house) as he lost his house keys outside. He broke a window, then fell into the house and hit his head. His symptoms were masked by his previous behaviour, he always been very demanding and expecting of me to be his manservant. For the 12 months leading up to his final session I'd been making meals for him ect, doing his shopping, washing and cleaning. Like his sister in the end he couldn't tell me what he had eaten, or what pills he had taken - he was popping co-codololl like smarties and then complaining he couldn't defecate - that was when I found out that opioids affect the bowel actions - so make sure your MIL doesn't consume to many of such.

(Comment - my highlites for attention from my experience)

Last edited:
Yeah thanks. She has a lot of the same symptoms. She’s up A&E now as her hands and feet turned red which is a possible symptom of Sepsis.

Up at the workshop struggling and I do mean struggling with this poxy clutch master cylinder on the Golf. Fitted it all up, connected the pipe, pressed the pedal and fluid pyssed out. The seal that seals the high pressure pipe is fitted to the cylinder and the pipe just snaps in place. The new cylinder didn't have a seal fitted! Had to take it all out again and dig the seal out from the old cylinder. Then, the fill pipe from the reservoir to the cylinder kept dripping - it's just a plastic push-fit pipe with rubber inserts in each end and the seal in that pipe was buggered. I ended up cutting 8" of pipe from my airline pipe and used that - temporarily of course. And would you believe it, I couldn't get a decent thermoplastic CV boot anywhere so ordered one of those for tomorrow. Fun and fecking games but then it always is on my own cars!

You are lucky!

I have had a cough and breathing issues since I caught CV-19 May/June last year. really made a mess of our pre-chrimble holiday. At one time it looked like I was going to have to stay (or get a boat home)

Presently having to record expired flow rate on a daily basis, threatened with Asthma inhaler - really not impressed as it's curtailing my sport. Just hope I can get sorted out whilst there is some of the Summer left...

Sorry to hear that. Yes, the old saying - there's always someone worse off. As you say, good, healthy lungs must be a prerequisite for anyone doing diving. Hope you get there eventually - did you have any other symptoms like loss of smell/taste? A pub I use, the landlady's partner had Covid two years ago and no sign of his taste or sense of smell coming back. He still enjoys a pint, but not for the taste any more - just for the relaxing effect of the alcohol. Can't imagine this, because for me, eating and drinking aren't just necessary functions, they're a couple of the essential joys in life that we humans are allowed to enjoy for a short while.

, I couldn't get a decent thermoplastic CV boot anywhere

A garage I no longer use fitted me a new CV boot a year ago. Then the big clip disappeared from hub end and spilled it's guts of grease again. Took it back and he put new clip on again, which lasted few weeks. Then when it went in for a gearbox fault at a gearbox place, asked them to put on clip number three.

This one stayed on, but had come out of place and was flopping around. So I investigated myself and found that numpty who originally fitted the new boot used one that was quite stiff plastic instead of rubber ones like the originals. Had no give in it, so when at max stretch, the large end of boot just pulled out of the clip. So I got a new universal stretch boot that was lovely soft rubber. Fitted it on, trimmed off the excess from end and now been in place for 8 months, no problems.

Comes to something when as an amateur, I can do a better job than the 'pros'! :evil:

I ended up putting a thick, high quality rubber one on instead, there were too many variables with the thermoplastic ones, nobody had them in stock and I CBA waiting for one. The one I fitted came with decent crush-fit steel clips.

Sponsored Links
Back