What have you bought today?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that SWA shouldn't be attached to that fence.
There's your next job Mottie, get it sorted before someone from the electrical section sees it. Good job BAS isn't still on here! :LOL::LOL:

I'm sure that SWA shouldn't be attached to that fence.
There's your next job Mottie, get it sorted before someone from the electrical section sees it. Good job BAS isn't still on here! :LOL::LOL:
Dunno what a SWA is but it’s a crinkly tube with a single 2.5mm inside spurred off of a socket in my garage. Goes straight through the back of the shed directly into the back of a twin surface socket which runs a small freezer, a tumble drier and, via another 5a spur, the lights in the shed. :whistle: Been there about 5 or 6 years with no problem. (y)

Sponsored Links
Steel wire armoured cable, (which I'm sure you do know ;) ).

I've come across runs of 2.5mm laid on top of the soil in flower beds. Asking who did that and the reply was along the lines, "Oh I did it myself about 10 years ag. It's safe because I know it's there and you can see it if you are weeding." :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Dunno what a SWA is but it’s a crinkly tube with a single 2.5mm inside spurred off of a socket in my garage. Goes straight through the back of the shed directly into the back of a twin surface socket which runs a small freezer, a tumble drier and, via another 5a spur, the lights in the shed. :whistle: Been there about 5 or 6 years with no problem. (y)

Tsk.

5 or 6 years closer to a problem then ;)
Seriously - what could realistically go wrong? I replaced the 2.5mm cable going to the garage about the same time and that had been there since we moved here in 1990 so that had lasted at least 25 years. I only changed it because it got damaged when I was taking a concrete post out of my concrete drive and chopped halfway through the garage cable with a kango. The power cable was run inside another pipe buried in the ground. I managed to repair the pipe and draw a new cable all the way from my fuse box to the garage. It was the old stranded 2.5mm T&E cable so quite old and had probably been there many years before we moved in. Wouldn’t surprise me if it had been there since the house was built in 1960.

Last edited:
Seriously - what could realistically go wrong? I replaced the 2.5mm cable going to the garage about the same time and that had been there since we moved here in 1990 so that had lasted at least 25 years. I only changed it because it got damaged when I was taking a concrete post out of my concrete drive and chopped halfway through the garage cable with a kango. The power cable was run inside another pipe buried in the ground. I managed to repair the pipe and draw a new cable all the way from my fuse box to the garage. It was the old stranded 2.5mm T&E cable so quite old and had probably been there many years before we moved in. Wouldn’t surprise me if it had been there since the house was built in 1960.

No good asking me ; I'm just pulling your ****er;)

However, there must be a good reason why people more experienced and wiser in such matters than you or I, don't recommend this as good practice :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Basically 2.5mm T&E degrades in the sunlight and offers no mechanical protection, (especially from kango hammers! ;) ).

As for pinning it to the fence, the fence is not an immovable object and can be blown down by the wind/weather so placing undue strain on the cable with devastating consequences.

Karcher K7 premium full control. Big boys toy. :D

35B99471-DEC8-4E74-8D8F-3E135A76D224.jpeg

Basically 2.5mm T&E degrades in the sunlight.....

I've been very lazy during furlough and, despite my enthusiasm for hanging out washing, I'm less keen on fetching the clothes pegs off the line afterwards. So, there they remain between washing loads.
And, in this intense sunlight, the plastic is degrading and breaking inside of a month. OK for a clothes peg, not so for something with 240v coursing through it:eek:

I've been very lazy during furlough and, despite my enthusiasm for hanging out washing, I'm less keen on fetching the clothes pegs off the line afterwards. So, there they remain between washing loads.
And, in this intense sunlight, the plastic is degrading and breaking inside of a month. OK for a clothes peg, not so for something with 240v coursing through it:eek:
with so many plastics that are near indestructable in the enviroment and will probably never ever degrade and go on polluting that planet for about ever. Why did they make a clothes peg that rapidly falls to bits in sunlight?

we too have such wonderfully designed clothes pegs, wonderful for the supplier as we will need to buy more. What a feck-wit species we are.

with so many plastics that are near indestructable in the enviroment and will probably never ever degrade and go on polluting that planet for about ever. Why did they make a clothes peg that rapidly falls to bits in sunlight?

we too have such wonderfully designed clothes pegs, wonderful for the supplier as we will need to buy more. What a feck-wit species we are.

Is a fair point.

My wife bought a Falcon bird scarer. Trouble was she thought it was the type on a very high flexible rod but it's one that attaches to a wall on a hoop.
Now been tasked with making something to sit it on a high pedestal so that it spins in the wind. No problem designing something but I have to do it with whatever materials I have in my shed of tricks. LOL
Should have fun tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Back