What have you bought today?

Carbon is far better than metal at coping with fatigue. At least it is, advertising to the pages I've read this evening.
I've had a number of steel golf shafts break through use (and a couple for other reasons;)), but no carbon ones, and they go through some pretty violent stresses......
Ok but do carbon forks flex like a golf club?

Sponsored Links
They shouldn't:eek:

My point is that carbon per se is better than steel, aluminium et al wrt fatigue.
Any weakness is probably down to design, joins, but not because "it's carbon" in itself.
According to what I've been reading about carbon forks failure I think it might be the cheap chinese brands made to
a price that are the main problem. The thing is with steel or alloy you are more likely to see some warning signs first, like
a crack or a split, with carbon it's usually a sudden failure, no warning (so I've heard) anyway. :mrgreen:

a price that are the main problem. The thing is with steel or alloy you are more likely to see some warning signs first, like
a crack or a split

Steel tends to fail gradually (under bike - type loads anyway), but aluminium failure can be a lot more sudden and "snappy" :eek:

Sponsored Links
Two packets of muffins from the Co-op. £1.10 a packet or two packets for £1.20. No brainer. :)

82AD37FE-56A8-49E6-A38C-31C312220877.jpeg

I've had a look (you've piqued my curiosity) and, in the words of Captain Redbeard Rum,
"Opinions differ on the subject" :ROFLMAO:

Provided it isn't crashed, stamped on, or hit with a hammer, carbon is stronger and better at absorbing repeated stresses than metal frames.
Basically, it'll outlast me as a rider, or my resistance to buying a new one:ROFLMAO:
I bought a carbon road bike but could not live with the stiff frame and discomfort of a day ride on it compared to steel .

I bought a carbon road bike but could not live with the stiff frame and discomfort of a day ride on it compared to steel .

From my understanding, the stiffness is more to do with the weave and shaping of the elements of a carbon frame, and tube sizes and thicknesses, than it is just "because it is carbon".
(Same goes for metal frames, with regard to tube sizes and thicknesses).

Like a carbon fishing rod can be made to be flexible or mega-stiff; same as a golf club shaft.

I agree though, in that steel is traditionally seen as being very supple, and comfortable for use in a bike frame.

Sponsored Links
Back