What is a 'time served' plumber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heard this mentioned a few times. Just curious how one goes from an apprentice/mate to a time served plumber and how many years they have to put up with the apprentice status.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A "time-served" plumber is a plumber who has served time, done bird, a stretch, porridge. Ex-cons the lot of them ;)

In the olden days, a young lad would be taken on as an apprentice. Often around 4 years, after which the lad would pass some tests and be given a certificate, showing he was qualified, time served.
I was taken on as an apprentice fitter by the Nation Coal Board (the pits). Four years training, yearly tests then got the certificate and became time served. There were fitters, electricians, plumbers joiners and blacksiths, all served a four year apprenticeship.
Apprenticeships seem to be making a comeback these days, although I doubt it's the employer who pays for the training, and the wage. They would expect funding to come from elsewhere, then only employ once the apprenticeship was served.

Sponsored Links
Must admit, thought it was 7 years. You live and learn.

Thanks for the replies, even the non-serious ones. I was wondering how long people will take the mick. :LOL:

A Time Served Plumber is in reality some miserable, bitter and twisted sweaty old sod, probably reaking of booze and fags, with an air of resignation and doom. Knows his stuff, but can't be arsed anymore.

If you stay with the same firm, you'll probably never get rid of the 'trainee' tag!

A Time Served Plumber is in reality some miserable, bitter and twisted sweaty old s**, probably reaking of booze and fags, with an air of resignation and doom. Knows his stuff, but can't be a***d anymore.
All this after just 4 years in the trade too! :eek:

, probably reaking of booze and fags, with an air of resignation and doom. Knows his stuff, but can't be a***d anymore.

Apparently I 'reek' of Laco Flux residue (can't say I notice anymore, after 30years of using it.....) when I do occasionally get to sit down with the wife & kids at some sort of reasonable evening mealtime.

Doom?, ah the good old days - just they did not seem all that good at the time

The real old guys said to us back in the seventies, "one day son, it'll all be plastic push together stuff" Oh how we laughed.

DH

For me, time served was three years on and off site, day release at college, four portfolios (two workshop at college, two on site), unvented training/exam, gas regs training/exam, water byelaws training/exam, about 20 other subjects training/exams

I retrained after working as a toolmaker in the manufacturing engineering industry for 25 years, then swapped roles with the missus to look after the kids for three years as they were at primary school, then did some (lots) of research before deciding on a trade and finished my time last june

For me, time served was three years on and off site, day release at college, four portfolios (two workshop at college, two on site), unvented training/exam, gas regs training/exam, water byelaws training/exam, about 20 other subjects training/exams
That's how it should be done. Unfortunately there is no compulsion for anyone to have formal training in either the plumbing or the heating trades. All you have to do is pass the tests.

"Time served" suggests to me someone who has learned everything he knows "on the job". We used to call it the "sit by Nelly" training method. Nelly would teach the the new person how to do the job - including all the wrong things which Nelly had picked up.

dreadnoughtheating said:
The real old guys said to us back in the seventies, "one day son, it'll all be plastic push together stuff" Oh how we laughed.
I can remember being in a camera shop years ago when someone came in and asked if there were any cameras which had automatic focus. Dead silence and then the assistant said, "Sorry sir, but that can't be done."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back