1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What is Mastic ?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by kez1, 29 Nov 2018.

1. kez1

kez1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I know what slicone is.
    But mastic, what is it?
    How do you define what a mastic is, and why might it be used and not silicone?

2. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think silicone goes off completely all the way through but mastic gets just a skin on top of it and the inner stays 'wet' for years.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I cut my teeth on a product called Secomastic.....oil based, would skin over but took years to fully cure. Yellow / brown in colour it would never come out of the tube in winter.
    Forerunner to silicone!
    John :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    To be strictly accurate, it is resin or sap from the Mastic tree, or bush, originally found in ancient Greece. This resin was used as chewing gum, and there are references to it in various ancient writings, also as a medication to freshen the breath or reduce some infections, as well as a flexible sealant. Hence the name "mastic" (as in "mastication" which means "chewing" from the latin verb "masticare" "to chew")

It has the unusual characteristic of staying flexible and not going hard and cracking, so it has been used as a sealant for an indefinite period.

It is relatively expensive to produce, so is seldom used as a building sealant now. It is still used as a (high-priced) chewing gum and has a scent and flavour that some people like so is also used in cooking.

In the days when trade names and descriptions did not have to be accurate, any flexible building sealant might have been sold as a mastic. So you can't trust the maker's name and you won't be able to guess what ingredients have been used.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links