What is "Secure VPN" and do I need it?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have been offered it as part of my internet security package.

I mostly use wifi at home or in friends' homes, I generally don't use it in public places.

Are there downsides?

Sponsored Links
When you connect to the internet, your service provider assigns your device a long number called an IP address. When you open a website, your browser sends the IP address to the website, because that the website needs to know where to send the data you've requested. Think of it as a temporary postal address where your data can be delivered. This also means that websites can track you using your IP address. A secure VPN disguises your IP address in a way prevents websites from tracking you.

People use VPNs to hide their identity, typically either because they are extremely privacy-focused or because they're doing something dodgy and don't want to get caught.

You should definitely use a VPN if you download illegal content. Otherwise, I don't see the point. Assuming you've got the other security stuff right, it's not doing to make a significant improvement.

On the other hand, there are few downsides. It may slow down your connection slightly, or make your connection less stable. Make sure that you trust the people providing the VPN because all your traffic will be routed through their infrastructure.

The Virtual Private Network can best be seen as an encrypted tunnel that your data flows through. It can be a way to prevent anyone knowing what you are downloading. They can be handy (as above) to mask connection to banned sites (e.g. pirate bay etc), but then using one provided by your ISP would be rather pointless.

For what it's worth downloading copyrighted material without a license is not illegal, it is unlawful. However, P2P tools tend to upload as well as download, which is. Not to mention that most of the illegal uploads are state sponsored to damage the western economy.

Banned sites, illegal content and copyright downloads are not relevant to me. I'm interested in anyone stealing passwords or account information.

Sponsored Links
You'll still get shafted from phising emails and bogus websites regardless of VPN.

What everyone has said is spot on. You'll only lose passwords etc if you use them on non-443 (padlocked) websites, in particular perhaps duped to amaz0n.com for example.
Just ensure everything is updated and take note of your modern browser warning you of insecure sites.
Oh, and don't share passwords between websites.

The ISP to which you connect, has a range of what are called IP numbers and when you connect it will allocate you a number or IP address. That address will be presented to every website you visit, so the website knows where to deliver the data back to you.

Some people even have a static, permanent IP address, one which they always retain and it never changes. I have four such permanent addresses allocated to me and me alone.

What a VPN does, is act as a repeater, or intermediary, between you and the sites you may visit. It will present one of its IP addresses to a site you visit, rather than your actual IP address allocated by your ISP. In that way, it your enures your complete privacy and anonymity.

You only need a VPN, if you are obsessed about your privacy, or maybe download illegal things which you should not.

A VPN can add protection if you use untrusted networks, like free WiFi. But most people don't need them for personal use.

You'll still get shafted from phising emails and bogus websites regardless of VPN.
A fact suprisingly not mentioned in the NordVPN adverts on TV pushing their product as a way to avoid being scammed, having your identity stolen....

It’s available free so don’t let them charge you for it.
Free VPNs have to pay for themselves somehow and the only things they can sell are your data or adverts to you.

It can be another way to compromise security if used maliciously, I'd steer clear.

Sponsored Links
Back