What is the best coal to use in a rayburn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a house with a rayburn, we've had it checked out and it's in good working order. It's been lit a couple of times and once going is great, but both times we've filled the house with smoke every time we've topped it up. (yes the chimney vent was open.) It's also burning too quickly even when shut right down, which means I can't keep it going over night and can make a cup of tea straight from the tap as it's over heating the water.
We are using coal left for us by the previous owner and think the problem may lie there. However I have no idea what to get. I've been told not to use trybrite as it's too aggressive, but there are so many available I don't know what to get.
I know it takes ages to get used to these things and they are all different, but would appreciate any suggestions as I'm unsure if it is the coal or me!

Thanks Jane

Sponsored Links
You should certainly check your flue very carefully, as you've had the house full of smoke. The Rayburn MF models are Multifuel, meaning they can burn wood or various types of coal. Otherwise, anthracite is best.

Softwood needs a year's seasoning in a ventilated covered store; hardwood needs 2 years. Don't burn unseasoned wood - it will line your chimney with tar, and you could get a disastrous chimney fire.

As Kev says, get someone who understands Rayburns to check it over, it doesnt sound as its working correctly, and could be potentially dangerous :!: Sounds like its getting too much air, and there's also the smoke issue. The chimney needs checking, when was it last swept?? At best you may risk a chimney fire, (scary), at worst you could poison yourselves with Carbon Monoxide, (fatal) :!:

If you are unsure who to ask try: www.hetas.co.uk the solid fuel advisory service, who will be able to recommend someone. They should also (or the engineer can) tell you which fuel to use for maximum efficiency.

Sponsored Links
[at worst you could poison yourselves with Carbon Monoxide, (fatal) :!:

Follow leakys very ggod advice, but in addition buy a CO alarm, and site it properly

Have the chimney swept and test it for leaks and draught. Also clean out all the internal flues on the rayburn as many have not been cleaned at all if maintained by someone who has no real idea what they are doing.
Clean fuel such as anthracite or well seasoned wood will help as already mentioned and ditto the CO monitor.
Also the rope seals around the firebox/grate doors may need replacing as well as any gaps or cracks in same area which can be sealed with fire cement.
As for the water, solid fuel is constantly putting heat in to the water system so if you cannot use the water for baths,etc, you may have to have a heat leak rad plumbed in to the system (you may already have one so check as it should be open always). The other way would be to plumb in a neutraliser. Have a look at Dunsley.
Stix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back