What is the best way to find a labourer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a handyman / labourer to help with a bit of painting and lifting (worktop, rubbish removal etc)

What is the best way to aquire one?

I have tried on websites such as ratedpeople and mybuilder. Any other options?

Sponsored Links
Brilliant!

On Gumtree do i have to specifically ask for for things eg CSCS card etc

Sponsored Links
Probably not.. I juat saw most of the ads on gumtree had people requesting it

I'm not too familiar with gumtree but do you have to pay to post an ad? They are requesting approx £10.

Last edited:
Local 'Free Press' to your earea - in the two I see regularly they are many adverts of 'handymen' looking for work.

See if your council runs an approved list of contractors - normally the trading standards or consumer protection dept. Also the Housing dept or the Association running the housing may have a handyman scheme, or may just tell you the names of some of their contractors.

The advantage of trying the council first is that the contractors will have gone through a vetting process.

Gumtree may get you any Tom, Dick or Ha...axe murderer.

Thanks guys..

I have had some interest from websites like ratedpeople

I'm new to this sort of stuff, so what sort of questions should i ask in order to avoid the 'axe murderers' of the world?

Also what is a fare pay? Cash or bank transfer?

Ask if
I'm new to this sort of stuff, so what sort of questions should i ask in order to avoid the 'axe murderers' of the world
Ask if 500 quid is enough to bump off your neighbour and dispose of all waste off site, if he starts to negotiate he's not safe, if he says no way you're in the clear:sneaky:

Edit unless "no way" is the start of his hard negotiation

Oh dear, according to statistics 10% of people live next door to a pervert.
Lucky for me that's not the case here, actually next door is a hot girl I can watch in the window:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back