What's the best way to find good tradesman?

I don't do Facebook but a friend of mine, who restores sash windows, gets much of his work via recommendations on a local Facebook group. For him a big advantage is that the work will be local.

Facebook is more popular now with businesses

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Haha and I thought I was the only person left on the planet who doesn't bother with facebook. I've started to wonder if I'm missing out a bit especially as people seem to use it for buying and selling things

I do have a facebook account, under a false name but I consider the platform (and its kin) to be "digital noise". Ask a neighbour to look at the local "FB site". Let them deal with the constant pings. If they find you someone worthy of your money buy them a bottle of something nice as a "finders fee". If the tradesman is pants, convince your neighbour to employ them and get the "tradesman" to buy you a bottle of something nice.

In all seriousness though. Whoever you go for, if they are not recommended by a friend, ask them if you can see their work. I have never had to ask any of my clients if a stranger can swing buy, and (to date) I have never been asked for recommendations (given the word of mouth thing) but I know that my better clients would show others my work and be honest (about any of my faults) in the process. If you come across verbally as well as you do in print, I find it hard to imagine that previous customers will flag you as a potential burglar or stalker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back