What is the best way to get a job as a labourer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to be a builders' labourer, soon to get my green CSCS card and I really want to get straight into construction work.

What is the best way, in your opinion, for me to do this? I've checked Jobcentre, and I always need experience. But I need experience to get experience!

Thanks a lot if you took the time to read this.

Sponsored Links
Call into a site and offer yourself as a cheap labourer, Work cheaply at say 30 quid a day for a couple of months and then ask them for a raise to normal rates or just leave.

Frankly the kind of skills a site labourer needs to count as experience can be learned within a few weeks easily. Then you can apply for jobs on big sites armed with at least a little experience as that is all they are after really.

Disclaimer: This is in no way supposed to be disbaraging to good experienced labourers as guys that have been doing it for years are worth an awful lot and their skills are certainly more than can be learned in a few weeks.

Knowing someone in the trade or a friend of a friend can be a useful way to get your foot in the door.
Jobcentre will get you nowhere.

as deluks says the best way is through people you know - you MUST know someone who knows someone that works in construction that might be able to ask for you - keep trying you will get a job shortly, you will just have to try to go to sites and ask on spec, tell them you have CSCS card and all your own gear - if you drive then you have even better chance - contact companys on spec too - I rang Teams Roofing in 1998 for a Sheeters Mate job on spec and I got a job instantly, ****** with the jobcenter - the best way is to GO OUT and GET them yourself in person or telephoning even if theres no vacancy advertised - you'd be surprised..

good luck anyway

Sponsored Links
easy to get a job as a roofers M8- just turn up @ local Travellers site :LOL: :LOL:

Bear in mind that there are labourers and there are labourers.

If you just want to sweep up, and stack things off the delivery lorry, then you can get a job anywhere.

If you want to become a proper builders labourer and learn something too and earn more based on knowing what needs doing and anticipating work, then pick more carefully.

Either way you need to ask around on sites

I am assuming you are a young chap? it helps to look fit and strong, with hardened hands that show you are not afraid of work. If you can keep busy with jobs like gardening, laying paths, clearing rubble - even if only for your own family - it marks you out as the right sort of person. Dress the part as if you were already doing that kind of job.

As well as approaching people that don't know you, on site or around the builders merchant, see who you know in the building trade. Uncles, friends of your parents, neighbours, people down the pub or the church, depending on your lifestyle. It will mostly be people of an older generation that can help, and you may not usually spend much time with them, but provided they think you are a reliable, honest, hard-working person who can get out of bed in the morning, they will be willing to help with suggestions, and probably also put in a good word for you. People like to lend a hand, and an older tradesman will feel good if he sees that his experience and contacts are being valued.

be aware though that if they think you are not, they will not want to damage their own reputation and relationships with people they know, by recommending you, and then have you turn out to be useless.

I don't know about labouring jobs in particular, but that's how it works when you're starting out. Personal recommendation, and looking the right sort, is best.

helps to look fit and strong, with hardened hands that show you are not afraid of work. Dress the part as if you were already doing that kind of job.

or the church, depending on your lifestyle.
You`ll get a job as a carpenter , no bother :idea: Also , become a JW. they look after/ give work to their own - Fact :idea: Think they are the only ones to survive the Rapture too - but that`s a different story ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back