How the hell do I get a green CSCS card?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not in education, not working, but want to be able to take labourer jobs.

So because I'm not in education, I need an employers' recommendation to get a green CSCS card, but it seems everywhere I look I need the damn CSCS card to work in the first place.

Irritating catch-22. What can I do?

Would greatly appreciate any useful help possible, thanks a lot if you took the time to read this.

Edit: Can't get free card, 19 now.

Sponsored Links
Ask at the jobcentre if they can help. There are courses out there designed to get you a CSCS card. You'll probably have to do Adult Numeracy and Literacy, (that's how they get the funding) Once you pass that they will put you in for the H&S test, but it's up to you to revise and pass the test.
Multiple choice test with dead easy questions like:

Part of the scaffolding is in your way,,, Do you......

A, Grab a box spanner and remove the part that's in your way?

B, Grab a lump hammer and bend it out of your way?

C, Ask the site foreman to get someone licensed to alter the scaffold for you?

D, Go to the pub for lunch and hope no one notices?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
I did mine through the joke centre just like joinerjohn suggests, i chose numeracy, 7 weeks at learn direct doing god damn sums, did my nut in, anyway you will need to reach level 2 and then they'll put you in for your CSCS which again like joinerjohn says is dead easy, all common sense questions, no revising needed

Quite right Crank, But I'm assuming the OP has never worked on a building site before nor knows anything about H&S.
It's a very easy test to pass, but there are a few that do fail it. ;) ;) ;) ;)

If i read the site right then the H&S test is £30 but the H&S test & Card is £73, a lot of money when your only on JSA as i was until recently, thats why i got the joke centre to pay for mine, unforunately to get the funding as JJ quite rightly pointed out you have to go on a learn direct course and chose maths or english.

Either way, i was told if i fail the H&S test and wanted to re take it then i would be liable for the cost which was £40 (test & card), sods law i've got a job now and they weren't bothered about a CSCS card :mad:

Just like to add, that since I got my Gold CSCS card, I have not used the bl00dy thing. And I have to renew it in 5 yrs time. grrrrrrrr
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I was at dole skool today, and they asked did anyone want a CSCS card..for fun...didn't realise there was a bronze/silver/gold, catagory.

Might enter it myself for fun...name..address...postcode...PASS.

If i read the site right then the H&S test is £30 but the H&S test & Card is £73, a lot of money when your only on JSA as i was until recently, thats why i got the joke centre to pay for mine, unforunately to get the funding as JJ quite rightly pointed out you have to go on a learn direct course and chose maths or english.

Either way, i was told if i fail the H&S test and wanted to re take it then i would be liable for the cost which was £40 (test & card), s***s law i've got a job now and they weren't bothered about a CSCS card :mad:

if you get JSA apply for ILA you get £200 for training, there is a big list of courses that qualify (most gas acs are on their as well) CSCS is on it, APPLY FOR ILA GRANT BEFORE BOOKING COURSE

Just like to add, that since I got my Gold CSCS card, I have not used the bl00dy thing. And I have to renew it in 5 yrs time. grrrrrrrr
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Atleast you know your safe when you go to the toilet and there is no andrex at hand. you'll have three sheets that can do the job.

Probably won't be able to sit down for a few days afterwards though ;)

Bloody CSCS Card is a waste of time in 8 years of holding a Gold card not one site has asked to see it or for evidence I was working on a Wimpey site in essex a few years ago and the question of H&S came up I produced my CSCS card -very exciting -the first time anyone had asked about it they took one look , said "we don't recognise those" and i had to sit through a 90 minuite H&S presentation before being let into a completed house to fix the boiler under warranty the bloody repair only took 30 mins!! :rolleyes:

Are you working now JJ or you still looking?

Still looking Crank, although I had an agency phone me up the other week offering me one (yes ONE ) day on site doing snagging for £6.25 ph. And they wondered why I told them where to go. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back