What is the correct term for this? And can it be bought?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have this stone trim on the front of my house, part of it has been removed to allow a porch door to be installed.

3rkCv55.jpg

I want to remove the porch door and as part of that I want to replace this stone trim. I am just wondering if its something that can be bought pre-made and if so what is it actually called?

Sponsored Links
It's a corbel - I doubt that you'll get an off-the-shelf match

Sorry - just read your OP again!

What was there before the porch door?

It's a corbel - I doubt that you'll get an off-the-shelf match

Sorry - just read your OP again!

What was there before the porch door?

Thanks for the reply

There was nothing there before the porch door, it was an open storm porch. The corbel thing had another part perpendicular to the bit you can see in the picture going into the storm porch.

You can't really see there, but there is an archway over the door and there are these bits on either side of the arch

In that case it's a corbel or a padstone for the arch to spring from - looks like dressed stone.

Are you planning to leave the open porch once you've removed the door?

Sponsored Links
In that case it's a corbel - looks like dressed stone.

Are you planning to leave the open porch once you've removed the door?

Yes I am hoping to. The inside of the porch has been plastered so I think I will have to remove that as well (presumably interior plaster is no good outdoors?)

I might have to have a go at making the missing bit of the corbel up myself then. Is it possible as its only basically a squared bit of concrete?

Correct!

Where is the missing bit? - a wider shot of the area might help

You can see here how it is on my neighbours house. The missing bit on mine is where it goes into the storm porch

yKwEQSK.jpg

You can see here on mine those bits were removed when the door was fitted back in the early 90s

3NzHGTP.jpg

Ah, got it now.

A bit of creative work with sand and cement may be called for!

Good luck - nice that you're trying to restore the complete original look(y)

Good luck - nice that you're trying to restore the complete original look(y)

Yeah it looks much better original. Just need to find a way to get rid of the hideous pebbledash as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back