What is the obsession with Smart home solutions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above really.

Why are so many people unconcerned with their house, the 1 place you want to feel secure in, being exposed to the internet, and neighbours through WiFi?

What is the need to turn the heating on remotely, or have a WiFi enabled garage door, or a remote control light switch? I work in IT where you would think we all loved that kind of thing, but honestly we all can't work out why people want it.

I walk into the house, and press the switch on the wall to turn the lights on - it's reliable and should it ever fail I can replace the switch for a few £.

These 'technologies' have repeatedly been proven to not give a sh** about security and are extremely vulnerable to attack, yet people keep on buying it.

Home Automation is clever, and when done properly is excellent, but this whole Smart Home nonsense I just cannot fathom.

Sponsored Links
I agree 110%. If you read these forums and others 99% of the people who want technology have absolutely no clue about the data collection consequences of "smart" devices. It is a back door way to collect people's information then to bombard them with "targeted adverts" or worse, much worse.

All I can say is what I have done, mother is 92 and we need to monitor her to ensure she is OK, to do this the council have put in call buttons, door contacts, bed alarms all which sound up-stairs. However all the devices are down stairs, so once activated it needed a trip upstairs to reset. So we wanted to be able to reset without going up, idea one was a plug in remote so with a remote control we could remove and return the power, however since we could not see if active or not, we found some times it had not been switched back on, this was not acceptable, so method two was tried, a simple time switch, this turned off door alarms before carers arrived and back on when they left, but still if the alarm was triggered it needed a trip upstairs, so third idea was a smart socket.

What this did was combine the functions of the remote socket and the timer socket, if in error we forget to set at the set time it sets anyway, we can leave the house then set alarm so the other family carer is still alerted should mother need them, it is not simply one remote control we have two remotes, plus our phones plus the PC and direct on the socket, plus a red LED on the socket to show if live or not. To my mind these functions should have been built into the alarm, but not our alarm that belongs to council, so the smart socket has made the alarm system user friendly.

Once the socket was fitted and we had the hub, it seemed to make sense to use same hub and remotes for lights in my bedroom, it saved running cables to a two way switch, would not have done it if the hub and remotes were not already in place, but since they were it was simple way to get two way lights.

The last is a total failure, we had problems with mothers living room and bedroom getting too hot and too cold, simple wireless programmable thermostats had failed, so since hub already in decided to go for eTRV's in the two rooms. Last night was typical units in day time 6:30 am to 8:30 pm bedroom and 10:30 pm living room set at 19°C then at night set to 16°C at 5 am the whole central heating turns off and back on at 6:30 am to ensure the boiler is actually running when the eTRV call for heat, the main wall thermostat is in the hall, the hall radiator is throttled back hard on the lock shield valve so it is slow to warm up, it also has a standard TRV so it can't get too hot. The wall thermostat will keep hall at a steady 18.2°C unless a door is left open. So there is no reason why the rooms should not cool at night and heat up again in the day. Been careful with lock shield valve settings so radiators with eTRV should heat up quickly. However as said total failure, by 3 am last night the two rooms had dropped 1°C not the 3°C programmed, and by 9:30 am in the morning they had not even heated up by that 1°C it was 10:30 am before this happened and by that time the sun was streaming into the living room bay windows and heating up the room anyway. Upstairs with simple TRV the rooms are great.

So yes my wife can turn on or off the alarms and my bedroom light from her phone, I can't I don't use a smart phone. And she can turn the two rooms up and down for target temperature, but latter is rather pointless as the current temperature is so slow to follow target, only use would be to turn it back on day before coming home from holiday if we every get one. So totally no point in turning temperature up or down with the phone or having it to auto turn one when within 25 miles from home, as it is so slow to react anyway.

1/ the general public are not aware of the security hazards and 2/ the marketing people say nothing about the security hazards. If they did then their sales would be reduced. In fact the marketing people often lie about the problems.

Q and A page said:
No, only the devices you have ‘learned’ in would be recognised by your system. Other accessories not programmed in will not interfere with the operation of your.
totally overlooks and possibly intentionally ignores the fact that "other accessories not programmed in may block wireless communication between accessories in your house"

Loss of security is one hazard, the other is when the system goes wrong and no one in the house and none of the local tradespeople have the knowledge and/or skills to repair or by pass it.

Sponsored Links
What is the need to turn the heating on remotely, or have a WiFi enabled garage door, or a remote control light switch? I work in IT where you would think we all loved that kind of thing, but honestly we all can't work out why people want it.
whssign.gif

I walk into the house, and press the switch on the wall to turn the lights on - it's reliable and should it ever fail I can replace the switch for a few £.
whssign.gif

These 'technologies' have repeatedly been proven to not give a sh** about security and are extremely vulnerable to attack, yet people keep on buying it.
whssign.gif

I agree 110%. If you read these forums and others 99% of the people who want technology have absolutely no clue about the data collection consequences of "smart" devices. It is a back door way to collect people's information then to bombard them with "targeted adverts" or worse, much worse.
whssign.gif

There is also the question, how much does it cost those who do not use smart devices to caterer for those who do? Be is a remote operated light switch, a light switch with a dimmer, or a light switch with a PIR it needs power to work, to get that power "Dimmable" LED light bulbs need to leak power past the LED's like the old 5 - 20 mW sensors where first 5 mW was used to power sensors, there is a amount of power with every dimmable bulb which does nothing. It's hard to get a bulb which is not dimmable, so we are all paying extra on our electric bill so a few can have a dimmer switch fitted.

The gadget sellers have found a way of selling products that we dont really need.

Looked at buying a nest/hive thermostat for my own drum but when i worked out the cost/benefit to me, it would never result in any saving.

Although the properties i renovate i always install nest/hive or similar it has proved an excellent selling help,the young guns love the tech stuff.

Many years ago we had a power cut. ( there have been others since then ). A neighbour rang the door bell ( had battery back up ) and shame faced asked if we had a tin opener she could borrow. Turned out her dog was hungry and he could not understand why the electric tin opener was not being used on a tin of his dog food.

I have a tado thermostat and hue smart lights. I admit part of the appeal was the novelty factor, but the main reason is convenience.

For the lights, they slowly turn on in the bedroom to wake me up, then the rooms I use getting ready for work are lit when I get out the shower. Additionally there is a large aesthetic benifit having pretty much every lamp RGB. It may not be something everyone wants, but we appreciate it. We also use Siri to adjust the lights far more often than I would have expected.

We get home at irregular hours, so the thermostat always makes sure the house is warm when the first person gets home. Sure we could get a timer set up, but it would have to regularly pre-heat the house very early to account for the random days when someone's going to be home earlier than usual. It sounds lazy, but I do enjoy the benifit in adjusting the temperature from my phone while I'm in a different room.

If me and my gf both leave the house the lights and heating turn off automatically.

You have to consider the money spent for the convenience - I don't expect them to pay for themselves.

I'm an Electronic engineer who designs on embedded systems, so I'm aware of the "security" risks. Worst that can happen is that my heating is set to max and it costs me a few ££ before I notice and turn it off. Privacy concerns are probably more valid, but my phone tracks my location anyway so I may as well benifit from it.

I've never really understood the need

I work in tech and am quite happy with a simple timer turning on my heating and water

First thing in the morning , one would presumably be asleep while the central heating fires up, and sad git that I am, pretty much am at home the same time every night . If it is cold and I am in, the thermostat is 20 feet away, if I am out, and come back early, I turn it on

In our wholesalers they sell an ES lightbulb with a built in bluetooth speaker, the outer metal thread is well exposed, so god forbid if it was put in a non polarised lampholder

The gadget sellers have found a way of selling products that we dont really need.

Looked at buying a nest/hive thermostat for my own drum but when i worked out the cost/benefit to me, it would never result in any saving.

Although the properties i renovate i always install nest/hive or similar it has proved an excellent selling help,the young guns love the tech stuff.
I think the big worry is what if it goes wrong, if you buy a well known product no one is going to blame you if it goes wrong, Install Open Office and some one looses a document it's your fault, install MS Office suit and it was the guy using it who got it wrong.

But as to salesmen the best guy around must be who ever managed to sell these socket protectors
Exposed.gif
he must be the best salesman ever to sell those. So if someone can sell those, then the rest must be easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back