What is this cable? Dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was cleaning the understairs cupboard in our new house and this popped out at me.

It's setting off my wee detector, but only on low, not the big alarm you get when you touch plug sockets.

It's a 100 year old house so could be from any era! Can't trace it back any further as it goes right under the floor from here. It's really thin so I'm wondering if it's maybe old telephone cable?

I have an expert coming out who can check it, but not until the new year so if someone says it could be dangerous I'll get someone sooner.

Attachments

• 20231221_135945.jpg
    20231221_135945.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20231221_141637_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221_141637_Gallery.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
It is difficult to say without applying a contact tester on it i.e. a multimeter with probes, to see what voltage is present.
To look at it, my money would be on it being for an old doorbell so possibly connected at the other end to a transformer.

Like I say though, it's all conjecture without a bit more testing.

You could carefully terminate them individually into a terminal block for now or some Wagos, at least to eliminate the possibility of something touching bare ends without knowing what voltage is on it.

Sponsored Links
It is difficult to say without applying a contact tester on it i.e. a multimeter with probes, to see what voltage is present.
To look at it, my money would be on it being for an old doorbell so possibly connected at the other end to a transformer.

Like I say though, it's all conjecture without a bit more testing.

You could carefully terminate them individually into a terminal block for now or some Wagos, at least to eliminate the possibility of something touching bare ends without knowing what voltage is on it.

Put each wire into separate insulated terminal blocks ,or wago's ,and await an electrician.

Don't think so. I've used similar-looking stuff over the years for mains-powered lights and loudspeaker wiring. If I recall correctly it's rated ~2A 250V.
Great feedback all - really useful. Thanks a lot.

An old doorbell seems a really likely suggestion considering the old wired one has been removed and replaced with a wireless one. I'll do as you suggest and put them in a terminal block for now until my electrician can get out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back