Dangerous electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in a new build, approx 5 years old and today the electrics tripped. I traced it down to the dishwasher and found that the mains cable had not been tightened at all resulting in it getting hot and melting the insulation.
Should I be worried that this could have caused a fire?
Is there any way to test the rest of the house or do I need to inspect the rest of the appliances as I have no faith in the builders electricians now?

Here is a picture of the cable.
IMG_20190316_105941.jpg

Sponsored Links
Another picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_105329__01.jpg
    IMG_20190316_105329__01.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 383
That was probably done by the kitchen fitter rather than the electrician.

One good thing: the RCD did its job

Yes it could have caused a fire. Not a bad plan to open up and check all terminations (isolate beforehand of course), guaranteed you'll find some loose, some with excess copper showing, maybe some reverse polarity or no earth link from backbox to faceplate, and you'll almost certainly spend longer doing 1 circuit than the original installers were given to 2nd fix the whole house

Sponsored Links
Cant see that it has been said already, so will say it, Ensure you replace the spur/flex outlet as well as cutting back teh cable, the terminals will have been damaged by the heat and shouldnt be re-used

Errors do happen, I remember being called to a house with telephones doing daft things, not our job but new build so went anyway.

It transpired the electrician had be given a populated consumer unit and had fitted it without checking the screws of already fitted MCB's and the supplier had just popped the MCB's in place nothing had been tightened up. Clearly electricians fault we should test all terminals in a consumer unit, however also could understand how missed.

However also seen where electrician used a torque driver and the threads were binding, likely he would have felt there was something wrong with standard driver, but using the torque driver there was no feel, as the terminals heated and cooled the binding was released, so on testing latter it seemed the electrician was at fault for not tightening the terminals, in fact he was sacked, then other terminal blocks were found with faulty treads in the batch and he was offered job back, although he did not return.

After that instructions were issued to test screws first, to ensure they were free to turn all the way in, however mistakes will always be made.

In one job part of service was to check tightness of all terminals, that also caused problems as terminals would shear through the wires after being tested many times.

The maintenance free terminal is designed to remove the problem, but again any spring which is heated losses its tension so although great for control wires, power cables not so good with.

Cant see that it has been said already, so will say it, Ensure you replace the spur/flex outlet as well as cutting back teh cable, the terminals will have been damaged by the heat and shouldnt be re-used

Preferably with a plug and socket. It will make it much easier when you come to replace your appliance.

Thanks for the advice. Will try and check some of the other connections in the kitchen when I get time, bit tricky as it is a fitted kitchen with all the wiring behind. Will also look at replacing the outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back