I have found dangerous electric work....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First time post - so forgive me if this is not the best place to post.....

My integrated dishwasher stopped working on the weekend. We have another dishwasher in the garage so I thought I would try to replace it.

Before I moved the current dishwasher I found out that the electric plug and socket are just sat loose (away from the wall) directly underneath the dishwasher on the kitchen floor!

If the dishwasher leaked or even if the washing machine/sink flooded I am guessing it would be extremley dangerous.

The kitchen was fitted within the last 5 years (and before we bought the house), so I am not looking to get compensation etc. But it strikes me as so dangerous and even a criminally negligent act by whoever fitted it?

The previous owners left details. I will check tonight but I think it was fitted by a contractor through a well known high street kitchen/bedroom retailer. I am tempted to make a bit of a fuss - as I feel a bit sick that my family have been in danger, and whoever fitted it, might still be doing so.

Should I report it and to whom? Any other tips?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that after all this time there is no way that you could prove who did it, so no point wasting any time and effort trying to report anybody to any organisation.

About all you can do is to look behind other appliances and kitchen units for more examples of dodgy work, and get an electrician to do an inspection.

You should inform the company that installed the kitchen about the quality of the electrical work that you have found. Include photos.

Say that you are not seeking compensation but you are informing them so they can improve their quality control of sub-contracted work and thus avoid creating hazards for new customers.

Sponsored Links
I will admit when I fitted my kitchen, the integrated fridge freezer would not sit back in the cabinet far enough with the socket in place. The flex on the FF was not long enough to reach a socket above, so I placed the socket below the FF behind the plinth. But I had already fitted the cabinet and attached others to it, so didn't want to move it. So I left the socket loose. I know its there and nobody else will need to get to it.

maybe the dishwasher would not fit far enough back with the socket and plug on the wall

There is loads of space and flex there. Even so, do you not think it is dangerous to have the socket underneath something not could very well flood? Just having it on the floor is dangerous - given how easy the washing machine could flood the kitchen?

I was wrong to blame that company I referred to in my earlier post. No evidence of whoever carried out the work at all.

Even so, do you not think it is dangerous to have the socket underneath something not could very well flood?
When my bath leaked, the water ran through into the Kitchen via the light fitting directly below. I imagine 90% of houses are built like that and no one seems to mind.

Not best practice and dangerous are very different. If the dishwasher leaked it would cause the earth leakage trip to operate and it could take some time to work out what had caused the problem.

Even without an earth leakage trip the earth wire would ensure the body of the dishwasher did not become live. It could be a fire risk I agree.

However some one who is safety orientated as you are would have RCD's fitted so really there is very little danger with what has been done.

thanks for all the replies, fellas. Just to note I am totally ignorant of DIY/Electrical issues (I don't think you could find anyone more ignorant). Looks like it is does not appear to be quite as dangerous as I thought.

I had imagined if the washing machine flooded and poured into the loose socket lying on the floor, we would be fried if standing in the water (no idea if the socket is earthed, and I don't really know what 'earthed' means). Apologies to the chap that I questioned about the level of dangerousness!

Will get an electrician to give the whole house the once over - as I think there might be issues elsewhere.

BTW we have a switch in the kitchen that I understand is live but does not appear to turn anything on or off. Any ideas what this could be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back