What is this Drain - Mystery ???? Full Photo Story

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an extension soon, and opened this drain up to see where it ran...

it was totally full to the brim with dirty water....

I filled it more with a pipe and it didn't go down, incase it was a U-bend type situation...

I then emptyed the lot with a jam jar and bucket...

The drain is about 3' deep by about 12" Diameter.

Once emptyed, there was some stones in it, and bits and bobs... but could find NO inlet pipe at all i.e. from guttering, it doesn't smell so not soil pipe...

Inside it at bottom it has somekind of middle pipe type thing, but not got to do rest yet, although all the water is out. It is about 2 meters from my kitchen window, and another drain lies there.

Does anyone have any idea what it is or how I could unblock it????

CLICK PICS FOR FULL SIZE...

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
It looks like there is something written on the grate cover but I cannot make it out . I don't think it is drainage by what I've seen and I think it could have been for an Earth Rod and would have just had a copper rod set into the ground . Give the cover a clean and let us know what it says.

It says "MARLEY EXTRUSIONS MADE IN KENT" but on the plactic drain it does say No. UAC03 if that is of any use.

Also says inspection chamber on it.

What is an Earth Rod???

Leftover from the cold war , mate. You'll find it leans a bit to the east. We didn't go for the big American ones. Don't build over it in case it goes off.

Sponsored Links
could try local council for plan of drains in area might turn something up

Looks like an interceptor, a type of U bend like you said.
If it's full of sh*t then clean it out right to the bottom & flush with a hose, sometimes these can collapse if thats the case dig down & cut it out & replace with new pipe & a couple of slow bends, as there will be a difference in levels between the 2 sides.

council not got a clue :confused:

I will take another look tomorrow...

I will clean it right out so can see what it is, I emailed Marley too to see if they know as it is a type of unit that has a purpose

Keep it coming!

keego said:
Looks like an interceptor, a type of U bend like you said.
If it's full of sh*t then clean it out right to the bottom & flush with a hose, sometimes these can collapse if thats the case dig down & cut it out & replace with new pipe & a couple of slow bends, as there will be a difference in levels between the 2 sides.

educate me interceptor

so where is the rodding eye with the plug :confused: :confused: :confused:

The type I've worked on are not used for rodding. They are generally at the end of the run just before it goes out into the street, the main purpose of it is to create a low point which will fill with water to deter rats coming up from the main sewer (doubtful I know) & to reduce the sewer gasses going into the branch. The only access to these are from a grid similar to the one pictured above.

Finally cleaned the drain out... it isn't a drain at all!

Basically it has a pipe type mold at bottom and the round tube type thing you can just see in picture looks like it must be somekind of inspection thing that you can break open if need to rod.

I feel it maybe a drain underneath possibly for rain water?

Any new ideas?

I need to move this or cap it off to build my extension

The only way your going to find out for sure is to dig it out & see what it is, you will have to dig down anyway to find out which way it runs because the building inspector will want to know.

It might be a bodged effort at a soak-away to drain the lawn / garden. This would tie in with it being 2m from the house.

It looks like an access point to me, what are its dimensions, I think the photo may make it look bigger than it is, is it around 150mm x 150mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back