What is this? Existing foundation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Is anyone able tell me what the concrete strip is that sits between the external wall and the paving slabs and its purpose?
The property is 1952 post war.
The property barely has a foundation under it.

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    917.1 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
i have the same on my 1932 bungalow - concrete all around and then blockwork - i suspect done in the 90's when the drive was put in
It has broken up in sections , so dug some up and relaid

Sponsored Links
They probably got fed up with poxy gravel against the house and decided to concrete it instead.

London Rustic bricks - my favourite. :cool:

Horrible.
At over £1 per brick and only available in metric they are a thorn on the rear end to match up.

Correct.

And as with all LBC tat, they are a very low quality, low tolerance brick.

Rustics are copied you know...? Available in metric or Imp.

Err more information please. I thought there was a patent on these (although due to expire this year).Can you send me a supplier detail please?

They're Rustic Antique actually. I know well, our house is built from these, the previous extension was built in standard orangey Rustic and stands out like a sore thumb.

Have recently bought 7 pallets of them for myself, for a frightening £1.30 per brick. They look like they're made of mud, the 1950s ones look much sharper and harder. I fully expect them to turn to mush after a few years, this seems to be the LBC way.

I don't even like them. When I first viewed the place I assumed they were keyed, intended for rendering over. I didn't know they were someone's idea of nice. Sadly matching them will look less terrible than not doing.

I didn't see an equivalent anywhere. If so a make and model would be useful, I haven't ever seen one despite scouring the internet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back