What is this guys ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Viewed a house today and under the sink the stopcock pipe runs into this open pipe ?

Smells a bit too ?

Any advice welcome as were keen on the house

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_145344730.jpg
    IMG_20160423_145344730.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 306
Sponsored Links
It's the incoming cold main in a duct. Probably full of stagnating water.
Thanks Dan , the neighbours don't have it , should we be concerned about stagnating water ? Can any water work its way upwards ?

How can it have water in , assuming it's not the main leaking as pressure would mean water everywhere?

Can it be sorted in a way to not look like it does ?

Thanks Dan

Sponsored Links
I'm speculating here, but as Dan says it's a incoming cold water pipe in a duct, then the duct goes outside to the garden, but at what point does it get closed off outside. If it is just a duct, then there's nothing to stop you covering it over. I'd stuff a few carrier bags down it, and then put a bit of expanding foam over the top.

Few plumbing things would ever cost as much as £500.

So with houses costing £300k upwards, I would say that any plumbing issues are of no financial relevance compared with the magnitude of the purchase price.

Tony

Thanks chaps

It's not really fussing, it's the unknown , the kitchen is filthy and disgusting with mould all over the walls behind the cabinets so ripping it out is the only option, so to have this duct sitting there with smells coming from it us really unnerving when you don't know where the ducting goes to

451740de-9cb1-4679-96f4-cdbd8a30d81c.jpg

As Dan mentions it's the duct as in the pic. It can be wet vac'd and then sealed at both ends, nowt to worry about in the grand scheme of things.

I suspect that it hasn't been sealed on the outer end, and you've got damp moisture coming in under the kitchen units. As it is only a duct, and just goes outside, and internal sealing system should be sufficient

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back