What is this metal work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at using a hole drilled by a previous owner but which he never used. He was running a flex outside for a PIR light, but he drilled two holes before the third one he actually used for the flex. My purpose might be to run a low voltage power wire to an outside camera.

I poked a borescope all the way through (brick then insulation then breeze block most likely) before withdrawing it and some snaps. Some metalwork comes into view at the far end, I guess this caused him to abandon his first two drilling attempts when he hit it. What is this metalwork? A joist hanger? I can't be sure of the orientation of the image. It's around ceiling level of a ground floor toilet against the front of the house, built 1995.

Relatedly once identified, how much gap might be between the inner breeze block and the metalwork? I'm thinking of running the low voltage wire up in that gap and through a floorboard if enough space.

Attachments

• Metalwork.jpg
    Metalwork.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
Good, as I thought, and I'm assuming the brown section (top left) is the wooden joist running off horizontally to the left. How close to the outer breezeblock wall would you expect the first joist to be hung, i.e. what gap might there be for routing a low voltage wire?

Could be a anything from a few mm, to say 150mm ish, any more and the plasterboard hung from it would sag. Can you not measure it by marking something straight and thin? Or do you not know the wall width accurately? Nails in upstairs floorboards may also give a clue.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back