What is this on a Geberit Duofix toilet frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of installing a Geberit Duofix wall hung WC frame 980mm with Sigma concealed cistern 12cm (111.911.00.5) and I notice it has an additional plastic feed from the cistern as well as the main flush feed. Here's a photo from the front and you can see the plastic pipes to the left, which both terminate in the holes in the frame, but appear to have sealed ends:

The instructions don't make any mention of this plastic feed other than the suggestion that it can be removed:

As it would appear I don't have any use for it, I'm considering removing this part as shown in the instructions, however, I'm a little concerned this will leave an opening where it joins the cistern and don't see anything in the instructions showing this needs to be plugged/closed.

Anyone have any idea what this part is used for? Possibly a "washing toilet" that requires an additional cold feed!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The y shaped packer used for transport in fig 1 ... i would remove that as the instructions tell you to do.

The y shaped packer used for transport in fig 1 ... i would remove that as the instructions tell you to do.

It's a packer? I would have never guessed that. Can't see why it is necessary. I fit a different Geberit model a couple of years ago, which looks very similar, but didn't include that part. Seems like a bit of a waste of plastic!

So, I removed the "packer", but I'm pretty sure it isn't a packer. My suspicion is it is used for routing cables as the plastic tube isn't water tight and I can't think of any other purpose.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have done any harm to leave it in place so why the instructions indicate it should be removed I don't know!. Unfortunately, now that I have removed the cistern from the frame to remove this item and then re-fitted the cistern to the frame, I'm not exactly sure what the height of the cistern was originally as clearly these screws are meant to allow the cistern to be slid upwards, which then moves the flush pipe upwards also. It's strange that the instructions don't indicate that the height of the cistern can be adjusted upwards simply by loosening these the screws holding it to the frame. It's great that Geberit save paper by having only diagrams for instructions, but they do leave a lot to interpretation. Why they can't have electronic written instructions to go with the diagrams I'll never know!

I'm now going to have to check both the waste outlet and flush pipe are lined up with those on the back of the toilet pan!

Sponsored Links
I contacted Geberit technical support to ask what it was and why the instructions give no indication of what it is used for and simply imply it should be removed! The response I got was:

"The 'forked tube' you refer to from page 8 of the installat5ion instructions refers to the conduit to be used for installing an Aquaclean unit, which requires a dual water supply."

The tube isn't water tight as I tested it by filling it with water. The fork in the tube is two separate tubes snapped together and the joint isn't water tight. I'm therefore not sure how this would provide a "dual water supply" and suspect they are wrong!

I also asked about the height adjustment of the cistern, and despite the cistern being bolted to the frame with a slot that allows the cistern to be moved up and down by about 5mm they said:

"The height adjustment on the frame is via the feet, which will give up to 30mm adjustment. The height of the cistern within the frame cannot be adjusted.".

So much for "Technical Support", they don't seem to have a clue how their own products work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back