What is this pipe made of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to remove a pipe that was previously used as part of the ventilation for a gas fire, and I'm trying to figure out what it is made of, before cutting or disturbing it further.

The cut end looks like plastic, but tapping it with a screwdrivers makes it sound like ceramic.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ICmTh9Xh.jpg

6YyabA7h.jpg

nGxXtMUh.jpg

vXgkJvrh.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like a flue, and if so won't be plastic.

Put a lighter on it. If it melts it's plastic, it it doesn't it's asbestos cement.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. It doesn't melt so I guess it is asbestos cement.

Does anybody have any thoughts on removal?

There is no chimney on the ground floor, so it must connect to the chimney upstairs. I have raised the floor boards in the room above and there is a boxed in area, which must be where it connects.

I can't get a good picture but it is in the centre of the photo at the bottom.

Should I remove the plasterboard around the top of the flue? Do I need to take precautions regarding the asbestos?

How is it likely to be connected to the chimney?

FKCtufol.png

Should I remove the plasterboard around the top of the flue? Do I need to take precautions regarding the asbestos?

How is it likely to be connected to the chimney? yes and yes - get the plaster board removed for a better look. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put a bag over the asbestos/cement pipe and tape it on . Then post pics of what's above the ceiling when board is cut out.

FKCtufol.png

Pretty confident that's asbestos cement. Do not cut or break it, you need to avoid releasing the fibres into the air. I'd wear a paper mask and overalls when removing it, discard in a sealed bag when finished. Seems a bit overkill I know, but I dont think anyone is sure how many fibres its takes to cause Asbestosis or Mesothelioma.

Once removed, wrap in thick polythene and check with local council to see if they'll accept it for disposal.

OldKettle, good evening

Looks as if the "installation" and the property was shall I call it " made over" in the 50s ?

As such as has been posted the material has all the visual impact of being Asbestos Cement pipe.

Treat appropriately [as previous posts] and contact the local authority.

Ken.

It's late Asbestos Cement it started to be coated to reduce risk, some was grey some ocre coloured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back