what is this pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Just started taking up the kitchen floor in my 60s bungalow and there is quite a thick pipe running at a T section along the whole length of the room and across the width. The pipe appears to have had some sort of fabric covering at one point which is totally rotten. As there is no dpm in the floor, the pipe is also looking quite rusty which I think is caused by damp. There is orange rust on the pipe, but im not sure if this is a copper or cast iron pipe. One end heads towards the bathroom, the other end heads across the kitchen to the lounge in the direction of the front of the house, and the other end goes towards the water meter/ gas boiler cupboard.

I am also not sure if this is a gas pipe or water pipe. We have had a completely new central heating system when we moved in so I assume this has nothing to do with the radiators. The boiler is the only gas appliance in the property so I also assume that if this is a gas supply it is old. I cannot trace the pipe back to original source as it is half buried.

If the pipe was sound I would cover over and forget but I'm worried that it is too rusty and not safe.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Looks like gas, but you wouldn't lag a gas pipe so settle for water mains.

Draw a straight line from the stopcock in the road and the one in the house, doea that pipe line up.

Sponsored Links
Could you try listening to the pipe. Turn on a cold water tap and then put a metal bar or long screwdriver on the pipe, then putting your ear on the other end you may be able to hear water moving through the pipe. Much like a doctor would do with a stethoscope.

i'd go with handyandy for sure-

hold big screwdriver on pipe and listen get someone to tap both incoming mains water pipe and gas pipe at stopcock/meter see if u can hear either?

i'd go with handyandy for sure-

hold big screwdriver on pipe and listen get someone to tap both incoming mains water pipe and gas pipe at stopcock/meter see if u can hear either?
Make sure the tapper is Gas Safe :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back