What is this sound?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help me diagnose a sound from within my car. It started shortly after i had the car serviced. It's a sound that doesn't speed or slow when driving. It's the same constant sound. It's intermittent but mostly there from a cold startup, but does seem to fade as the car warms.

I've had both my belts changed but they didn't do the trick. You can only hear the noise from inside the car, not outside with the bonnet open.

Link to sound: (Listen for the whooping noise similar to a heartbeat.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0w3FCzTg50TUTlxZXRyYTNCOGc

Make: Nissan
Model: Qashqai Ntec
Engine size/Type 1.5 Diesel
Year 2011
Mileage 75000

Any opinions will be greatly received.

With thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Errrr.......
Have you just had the timing belt changed? I can't hear the 'heartbeat' I'm afraid but it does sound like its a belt driven accessory such as the water pump, alternator or A/C.....
have you tried things with the A/C off?
With this sort of thing I tend to remove the auxiliary belt and try again.
John :)

Thanks for the reply John,

The sound was there before i changed the timing belt and after. The AC off presents no change. Perhaps a seal round the water pump?

Thanks

James

Its usually a good idea to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt, but I guess you checked it for play? Any play will give a trace of leakage of antifreeze and to be honest I've never heard a grumbly one!
I would run the engine with the aux belt off though, just to isolate the alternator, tensioner and air con compressor pulleys.

Sponsored Links
Noise similar to that was the belt pulley bearings on the wifes volvo, while my car makes that noise if I let the oil level drop too low.

I've thought about power steering pump noise too (electric on these) but that should change when turning the steering wheel.

Back