What is this used for please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what type of pipe this is for?
I tried bending some 15mm copper pipe with no success but I could be using it incorrectly. :unsure:

Thanks.
Mark.

Attachments

• 20230131_110623.jpg
    20230131_110623.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
Difficult to tell from a photo, but most are suitable for 15mm or 22mm copper pipe. If the pipe you are wanting to bend sits snugly into the shoe / former it should be the right size. If you have a look on youtube there are lots of videos showing how they work.

Sponsored Links
1. Those benders are for soft copper pipe.
2. The mostly commonly used type of copper pipe used in domestic plumbing is "half hard".
3. Those benders can't handle half hard copper.
4. If you heat the copper to bright red, then quench or allow to cool in air, it will become soft and you might be able to bend it.

If the pipe doesn't sit tightly into the groove (former) then it's too large, as suggested those hand formers are usually for 8/10mm copper

1. Those benders are for soft copper pipe.
2. The mostly commonly used type of copper pipe used in domestic plumbing is "half hard".
3. Those benders can't handle half hard copper.
4. If you heat the copper to bright red, then quench or allow to cool in air, it will become soft and you might be able to bend it.

Would the heating and quenching make the copper weaker and therefore unsuitable for domestic plumbing?

1. Annealing makes a metal more ductile and easier to work. Like a number of other metals, copper work hardens when it is hammered / squeezed through an extrusion die.
2. There isn't much practical difference between the strength of soft and half hard copper, and either is quite suitable for domestic plumbing.
3. There is much wider use of annealed copper in air conditioning / refrigeration work, which tend to use narrower pipes. These lend themselves to bending more easily and can be used to form much tighter (small radius) curves.

1. Annealing makes a metal more ductile and easier to work. Like a number of other metals, copper work hardens when it is hammered / squeezed through an extrusion die.
2. There isn't much practical difference between the strength of soft and half hard copper, and either is quite suitable for domestic plumbing.
3. There is much wider use of annealed copper in air conditioning / refrigeration work, which tend to use narrower pipes. These lend themselves to bending more easily and can be used to form much tighter (small radius) curves.
Thanks for that, I think I will give it a go! (y)

1. That type of bender is typically used in HVAC work with smaller tube sizes.
2. If a 15 mm pipe will fit into the former (the semi-circular piece with a radial groove in it) then it may well bend 15 mm annealed tube.
3. If the tube won't fit into the groove without force it won't bend it.

I have attached a few more photos.
There are actually 2 benders.
One for 8mm, 10mm and 12mm.
The other for 14mm and 16mm.
I've also included the box that they came in that shows some other items which may help.

Attachments

• 20230206_132229.jpg
    20230206_132229.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230206_132224.jpg
    20230206_132224.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230206_132154.jpg
    20230206_132154.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 33

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back