What is this

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having re-found this amongst some lost bit and bobs (I remember having this as a schoolboy) does anyone know what exactly this is? - other than the very obvious.

And probably a good question to follow up with, is it quite safe - given I don't have anything it fits into.

Bullet.jpg

Sponsored Links
ICI is the manufacture Imperial Chemical Industries Kynoch Factory at Standish UNITED KINGDOM.

Looks like a .22 LR Cartridge.

I think it is a .22 LR cartridge, for example from a cadet or other small-bore rifle range, especially if there is no sign of a cap

Sponsored Links
Do seem to remember someone saying it was a 22
All I have is shown.
What 'cap' ? without one does it ensure it is safe?
What is LR ?

in the "blunt end" most cartridges have a small round dimple, where a percussion cap is pressed in. This gives the initial fire when hit by the weapon's firing pin.

.22 is a rimfire cartridge, meaning the pin or hammer strikes the rim at the edge of the cartridge, which contains a chemical which explodes when crushed, and ignites the propellant charge. You may notice the rim on your cartridge is somewhat rounded, rather than flat. The ignition chemical is inside this rim.

LR means "long rifle". There used to be other similar small cartridges mostly used in indoor shooting galleries.

Your cartridge is not very safe as it may detonate if struck. You should dispose of it safely. Your police station station may have the facility to take it.

p.s. it is illegal for you to have it in your possession if you do not have a relevant firearms certificate.

• Thanks
Reactions: JM2
Many years ago i found an unused bullet on a fireing range, i presented it to my dad who was in the RNAD (armanent depot) he hit the roof, with age and damp ammunition becomes highly volitile and can go off if you look at it the wrong way, so as JD says "get shot" :cool: of asap.

What John said is right, its .22 LR Rimfire cartridge. Just be careful handling it......!

Put the led bit in a vice, then leaver off the brass bit, empty out the powder. then put the case on its side and hit it with a hammer. I have done this loads of times.

If that bullet's not got somebody's name on it then it is harmless. Do whatever you like with it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Put the led bit in a vice, then leaver off the brass bit, empty out the powder. then put the case on its side and hit it with a hammer. I have done this loads of times.
And you still have three fingers and one arm! Not too bad.

If you have no firearms licence you need to hand it in or get rid as you are in breach of the firearms act, serious offence....

Section 1(2)(a)
(Acquiring or possessing firearms or ammunition without a firearm certificate or otherwise than as authorised by such a certificate).

Old sentence

On summary conviction, imprisonment, for a term not exceeding three months or a fine not exceeding £50 or both.

New sentence
On summary conviction, imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding £200 or both; and on conviction on indictment imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or a fine or both.

If you do take it to police station, prepare for some serious interrogation. :cry: :cry:

There are safe ways of discreetly disposing of the 22LR round.
Easiet one would to ask someone who legally holds firearms to take it off your hands, eg gun shop.

Or you could just say you found it ( if that's the case) when you hand it in to the law. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back