What is your hobby?

Having a quick shufty on t'internet shows costs between £12-50k quite some hobby!

Sponsored Links
Having a quick shufty on t'internet shows costs between £12-50k quite some hobby!

I agree. I am in no rush at the moment as I am planning to do it with my son when he's older.

I was thinking 25-50k. Thanks for pretty much confirming the same as me.

Put the money in a pension for your son.

Tough choice these days the way money is, but I reckon converting an old Porsche to electric with ya dad will be a memory and talking point that he'll never forget.

My dad is useless and if i turned up with 50k and gave it to me, it wouldn't impress me as much as if he'd of made an effort to do stuff with me over the years.

Make memories not money.

Sponsored Links
- Restoring a 1965 Hillman Super minx
- Drinking Bass
- Social / Family History
- History in general
- Northern Soul / Motown / 60s and 70s Funk
- Drinking Bass
- Working on the garden
- DIY of course!

Back in 1970's Lucas tried to market an electric van, they wanted firms to offer electric as an option in the same way as they offered diesel, at that time it was common for companies like Ford to fit their own petrol but Perkins diesel, however only Bedford (Vauxhall) actually started to offer electric, the Bedford CF had limited success, two types, one with fixed batteries, and one with a drop off and pick up system so it could swap battery packs, used to deliver news papers in London it worked, however the pay load was reduced due to weight of lead acid batteries, and seem to remember around a 45 MPH top speed, and seem to remember some thing like the DAF belt gear box at rear.

However it was made with the whole idea that it could be adapted to fit other vehicles, nearly every other electric car or van has the parts as an integral part of the vehicle.

I have only ever seen one, in the alternative technology centre in Machynlleth, however some thing like that could work, but finding one may be hard.

The only other motor I have seen which could be used with ease are those used for electric bikes, they make 1000 watt motors which can push a bike at around 40 MPH (illegal to use on cycle tracks with motors that big, classed as motor bikes) but nothing to stop you using a motor in every wheel, so 4 x 1000W = about 6 BHP which to my mind is still not really enough for a car, but could make a nice trike.

Tough choice these days the way money is, but I reckon converting an old Porsche to electric with ya dad will be a memory and talking point that he'll never forget.

My dad is useless and if i turned up with 50k and gave it to me, it wouldn't impress me as much as if he'd of made an effort to do stuff with me over the years.

Make memories not money.
Go travelling,,preferably cycling with your son,,not faffing on metal bashin.

Back in 1970's Lucas tried to market an electric van, they wanted firms to offer electric as an option...

My grandad had a stint at Brush Electrical Motors in Loughborough after leaving International Combustion in Derby and they were messing about with Commers and Bedfords trying to adapt them to electrical use. Wish I knew more about it but there was big interest then especially at the time of the troubles at the beginning of 1974.

My grandad had a stint at Brush Electrical Motors in Loughborough after leaving International Combustion in Derby and they were messing about with Commers and Bedfords trying to adapt them to electrical use. Wish I knew more about it but there was big interest then especially at the time of the troubles at the beginning of 1974.
Probably needed a bedford CF to fit the batteries in the back!

Touring countries on my bicycle.De-stresses me and gives me a great fit body.

I think it's a waste of time and money, but each to their own.

I knew a blind guy that bought an MG in pieces of ebay (it arrived in about 20 boxes) and built it in his garage. Took him about 4 years, and a lot of help from an MG forum and about 5,000 photos later, it was built and passed its MOT. In racing green, lovely thing. I even drove him out in it one sunny afternoon before we went to a beer festival. He's gone now, the car is still out there though.

So I say, why the hell not? Just do it.

I don't have any hobbies, unless you call DIY and trying to earn more money at home, on top of a day job, a hobby. My only hobby is really drinking wine and watching Sci-fi!

Well, it's true most hobbies are a waste of money, I'm building (roars with laughter, as I've hardly started it) a v special remote controlled car from my youth, I couldn't afford it back then, I've probably spent about £1k on "hop ups" and slight mods to it.

I need a hobby. I used to enjoy photography. I did tell myself I'd take up art once I finished my extension. Extension is finished.
Also, need to repair my old electric guitar...

Sponsored Links
Back