What do you collect?

Sponsored Links
I don't deliberately collect as such, but I do have quite a collection of electronic test instrumentation. It was more a matter of finding I needed them, and so bought, or designed and built them. Some ranging back to the 1970's, some self designed, when there was nothing available to buy, some commercial.

I'm a bit OTT about accuracy, so I maintain several reference standards for checking and calibration.

What sort of things do you collect or enjoy being part of your hobby?

I love everything about aviation so recently got a couple of British Airways and Virgin Atlantic 747 Windows for my wall and a massive 747 Rolls Royce Engine fan blade that would have been flying at about 38000 Feet!

Show us your crazy mad purchases or things that you just "need" in your collection.
I like to collect rings, it's quite fun actually.

What sort of things do you collect or enjoy being part of your hobby?

I love everything about aviation so recently got a couple of British Airways and Virgin Atlantic 747 Windows for my wall and a massive 747 Rolls Royce Engine fan blade that would have been flying at about 38000 Feet!

Show us your crazy mad purchases or things that you just "need" in your collection.
Very cool!

I used to collect Opinal penknives. I still have most of them...but those really tiny ones go missing a lot.

Sponsored Links
Very cool!

I used to collect Opinal penknives. I still have most of them...but those really tiny ones go missing a lot.

I had a few of those. I liked the wooden Laguiole knives too.

I had a few of those. I liked the wooden Laguiole knives too.
Wridly enough, I collected them when I was younger...like ten years old young.

It was my great delight buying knives from market stalls in France on our holidays...tried it in the UK and failed every time.

I have a bit of a collection of antique and vintage woodworking tools, in particular, old moulding planes. Over 1000 of them and around 400+ other old wooden jack, coffin and plough planes. Not only old but still perfectly usable with several of them dated to the 1700's and i do put them to use if needed. Also have hundreds of other old tools of all trades and purposes and they are invariably so much better made than the modern equivalents.

Hi guys, for your information there is Facebook group called Dull Mens club if you're interested

Is this a new thing, or is the FB algorithm doing its thing?

I had a notification that 8 of my friends were in this group? I clicked on it and found myself reading the comments for 10 minutes, promptly joining it after...!

I have a bit of a collection of antique and vintage woodworking tools, in particular, old moulding planes. Over 1000 of them and around 400+ other old wooden jack, coffin and plough planes. Not only old but still perfectly usable with several of them dated to the 1700's and i do put them to use if needed. Also have hundreds of other old tools of all trades and purposes and they are invariably so much better made than the modern equivalents.
Somewhere I have a couple of dozen Woodings and a filing cabinet stuffed with Iohn Rogers. I can't remember all the names now - PHillipson, Madox, couple of Owen which are quite old. Ibbotson, that big Bristol one, that big Norwich one, etc. Foulnd a few "varlopes" in Holland. Some of the special purpose ones are nice - like ogee and ovolo and scotia with their scribing partners. Ones I used a bit are stair nosing , a bit like a round but , further round. I had a coachbuilders plane fad , for some of the tailed radiused ones. Got a few reversers in Sheffield. Ken Hawley got a load more all in a museum now I believe.
There's another filing cabinet of Norris dovetailed, and loads of the Stanley and similar special purpose metal planes and the Record versions - they did some different rebate planes from the 10 and 10 1/2. Preston did some interesting ones too. In their day, would have been 50k's worth, but one day I'll peg it and wifey will get a skip in.

Justin Passing, if you decide to beat the wife to it & cash in let me know i could be tempted by the Woodings etc.

Last edited:
Somewhere I have a couple of dozen Woodings and a filing cabinet stuffed with Iohn Rogers. I can't remember all the names now - PHillipson, Madox, couple of Owen which are quite old. Ibbotson, that big Bristol one, that big Norwich one, etc. Foulnd a few "varlopes" in Holland. Some of the special purpose ones are nice - like ogee and ovolo and scotia with their scribing partners. Ones I used a bit are stair nosing , a bit like a round but , further round. I had a coachbuilders plane fad , for some of the tailed radiused ones. Got a few reversers in Sheffield. Ken Hawley got a load more all in a museum now I believe.
There's another filing cabinet of Norris dovetailed, and loads of the Stanley and similar special purpose metal planes and the Record versions - they did some different rebate planes from the 10 and 10 1/2. Preston did some interesting ones too. In their day, would have been 50k's worth, but one day I'll peg it and wifey will get a skip in.
Justin Passing, if you decide to beat the wife to it & cash in let me know i could be tempted by the Woodings etc.

Sponsored Links
Back