• C

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like my job most of the time.

I don't like when my immediate boss suddenly has a brain wave and decides when we are trying to reduce paperwork to make the business more agile he introduces more paperwork. Wouldn't have a problem but 90% of what he wants done in the new paperwork is covered in another document we have to fill in.... Guys a right tool sometimes.

I also get really annoyed when i have to think for other people who have been doing the job for years and really should know better and the standard of workmanship we require... It can be soul destroying..

But then their is days when the engine goes on test and performs better than factory, customers super happy, suns shining etc

Sponsored Links
I like my job most of the time.

I don't like when my immediate boss suddenly has a brain wave and decides when we are trying to reduce paperwork to make the business more agile he introduces more paperwork. Wouldn't have a problem but 90% of what he wants done in the new paperwork is covered in another document we have to fill in.... Guys a right tool sometimes.

I also get really annoyed when i have to think for other people who have been doing the job for years and really should know better and the standard of workmanship we require... It can be soul destroying..

But then their is days when the engine goes on test and performs better than factory, customers super happy, suns shining etc
Tell your boss to invest in lean construction.

A bit of value stream mapping would blow his mind

No regrets serving Royal Navy 36yrs man and boy, travelled the world, worked hard and played hard. I was fortunate I met my wife in Portsmouth who came from a naval family which meant she was already hardened to the idea of long periods of separation.

In 1941 a Royal Marine boy bugler had just passed his basic training with his best mate when they were both approached by their instructor that a battleship was about to sail from Portsmouth and the Admiral needed another bugler. The excited youngsters couldn't decide so the instructor tossed a coin. Our young bugler called wrong and the following morning he waved off his best mate as he sailed away on HMS Hood..........never to return.
34 years later in 1975 I completed my own basic mechanic training when a ship was seeking a young mechanic in Plymouth. Again a coin was tossed and again I called wrong, ending up in a shore job in Portsmouth.
3 years later I met my wife who in fact was the daughter of the boy bugler who watched his best mate sail on the Hood.
I always wonder how our lives would have panned out if the calls were made differently.
True dit.

Sponsored Links
Been semi retired since my mid 40s, as I like to spend late spring to autumn sailing. This year I went back full time as I couldn’t go sailing. I’m lucky that I can pick it up and put it down as I please. Always plenty of work and business turmoil tends to increase demand.

So much of work and life is pot luck.Whatever you end up doing you end up pidgeon holed into that and unless you are rich it is v v difficult to change...You end up with wife kids mortgage 30 something and nigh on impossible to change..Many many people end up muddling along in sht jobs and being v unhappy.My ambition was to be a pilot but I put it on the back burner apart from A Florida PPL..Then my Mrs fuked off with the boss in the 90s which screwed finances etc for many years....But hey...met the love of my life..Fuk work...I am happier than I could ever have wished 20 years ago.

Started off as an A+ slowly that's changed to a C/D nearer a C. Then I've been doing the same type of job for 33 years, so not really surprising, a lot of it depends on the client I'm working for last one was a D/E one before that a B/C.

A great job, teaching....really!
Gets an E though when you have to put other peoples mistakes right because they've been an arse - and looking at who hasn't shown up on a Monday morning (without letting me know :(:() so I have to fix cover lessons.
John :)

People and the politics drag it down, in my case.
Is like you can't just do your job anymore, it's either wiping someone's backside, or making sure your own is covered.......
This is my experience over recent years and only getting worse. Whereas years ago I had the autotomy to 'bash on', these days everything's to be rubber stamped by various teams/groups, meaning a task that used to take me a few days end to end can now take weeks or months! I get it from the perspective of ensuring compliance etc, however can make life very frustrating nevertheless.

So much of work and life is pot luck.Whatever you end up doing you end up pidgeon holed into that and unless you are rich it is v v difficult to change...You end up with wife kids mortgage 30 something and nigh on impossible to change..Many many people end up muddling along in sht jobs and being v unhappy.My ambition was to be a pilot but I put it on the back burner apart from A Florida PPL..Then my Mrs fuked off with the boss in the 90s which screwed finances etc for many years....But hey...met the love of my life..Fuk work...I am happier than I could ever have wished 20 years ago.

I'm C at present.

Yeah to an extent this is me. Although single, I'm nearing 50 and have a mortgage and a job that has a decent enough salary and pension. So whilst I'd like to make a life change, it's not as straightforward as it would have been 20-30 years ago! So you have the dilemma, take the plunge ... or kind of resign yourself to the status quo until retirement.

An 'A". I was a headteacher for 20 years, and on the whole, loved going to school every day. It had its rare bleak moments, but a great job. Before that I was flying in the Air Force, and whilst that was a 'Boys' Own wheeze', it wasn't as fulfilling as I expected it would be. I did 8 years and didn't sign on. So that one was a C+.

you seem to get a fair bit of time off to go biking etc, not a bad life.

Heating engineer -pretty skilled job really, especially now even the simplest boiler is a flipping computer and wants to talk to your phone, next doors cat....

Currently A, just had my annual review and a pay rise for helping keep the company alive during 2020.
I never knew what I wanted to do and worked in banking in London for years, which was OK, but then got really nasty and unpleasant, mostly due to an arsehole of a boss.

But then turned a hobby into a career, and really enjoy what I do now.
I do a job that provides good results for the company I work for, and they are happy to leave me to run it, so nobody telling me what to do day to day, which makes it nice.
And working from home at the moment, so that's a major plus this year.

Sponsored Links
Back